Re: Head Gasket Leak

The trick is figuring out which one of the heads is the culprit. What is

> the best way to do this? How does the estimate seem - reasonable or ripoff?

Hi,

That's probably reasonable for one side, but double for both? NO! Tell the service writer you know how much work is involved--that head gasket kits contain BOTH sides (get a quote from the parts dept first--probably about $200 for the entire kit), and there's little more than an extra hour involved doing the second side once the engine's out and mostly disassembled already. See what he says.

And they ask me why I do my own work...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I'm a Subaru newbie. I've had my 2000 Legacy L wagon for two weeks now. May I ask, what's the point of a boxer engine? I read that it is smoother than an inline engine, but with two heads, etc, it seems it would be more expensive.

What are the various pros and cons?

Thank you for your indulgence.

Tom Reingold Noo Joizy

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Lower center of gravity.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Hi,

I don't have all the "pro" answers, but the c/g is lower as another poster noted, and the overall length of the engine's shorter. In Subaru's case, this allows a "proper" (or maybe I should say "more conventional" lest someone take offense?) inline engine/trans arrangement--which generally makes things a bit easier to work on than many transverse mounts as well as allowing equal length half-shafts which eliminates the "torque steer" common with many transverse arrangements. An "inline" gearbox also seems easier to deal with when designing a 4wd/AWD system. The shorter engine length means a shorter crank, hence it's stiffer, which helps prolong engine life, particularly at high revs (which most boxers seem to like.) Keeping the engine inline also makes it easier to do things like driving cooling fans off the water pump instead of relying strictly on electric fans--arguments abound as to whether that's a "pro" or not. It also may be easier to make an all alloy engine in a boxer configuration, saving some weight. Cooling air is usually more evenly distributed over the engine, which may help eliminate some "hot spots."

"Cons" include the extra cost of a second head, more complexity driving cams, and slightly more complex intake and exhaust systems in some cases. It's hard to prove, but I also think fuel economy in a given size/power output range is generally a bit less with a boxer, though with current fuel management systems, that's possibly becoming less of an issue.

And then, back to "pros", there's the sound of a high winding boxer...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I don't know if there are any real "pros" anymore as the other manufacturers seem to be putting out spectacular vehicles without the use of a boxer. The inline six in my 1990 BMW, while being long, is far smoother than any boxer will ever be (my wife has an '01 Forester). Also, the sounds coming out of it are downright seductive.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Hi,

Good point on the smoothness factor: it's probably arguable, but IMO there's nothing as smooth as a straight six (notice all the big diesels are of that configuration: truck driver friends have told me the power output of a V-8's greater, but they shake themselves to death.) As for the sound, any good "cat lover" will remember the Jags of the '50s and '60s--dual exhausts on a straight six produced a sound never duplicated anywhere else! My Teutonic relatives have tried but still haven't matched that one!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Super answer, Rick! Thanks!

How would you describe the sound of the winding engine? I think it sounds nicely aggressive. When cruising gently, it's pleasingly quiet.

Fuel economy is disappointing. It seems worse than with my 1995 Saab

9000 CS. The Saab has a 2.3 liter lightly turbocharged (LPT) engine. My first two tankfuls with the Subaru have given me 23 and 21 miles per US gallon (27 and 25 miles per imperial gallon, or 9.7 and 8.9 liters per 100 km). The Saab usually gives me 25 mpg (US).

I think one reason fuel economy is worse is the gearing. The gears are much shorter in the Subaru!

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Hi,

Hard to describe in words... a two cylinder boxer (BMW m/c) seems to me like it never changes pitch. The bike just goes faster. A four cylinder sounds a bit rough at low speeds, then takes on a bit of "attitude" at higher revs, seeming to get smoother the faster it goes. A six, at least as practiced by Porsche in air-cooled days, sounds like a child having a tantrum until around 4 grand, when it starts to behave a bit, and by 6 grand, sounds like it's starting to have its way (though the water-cooled ones seem strangely quiet.) Add more cylinders, paint it red, make it speak Italian... well, words fail me!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright