Re: Loyale axle replacement

I guess I'd grab a box, and go through the interior ... pulling anything and everything I can get loose. Bulbs, knobs, etc.

How about the tail lamps, turn signals, snip pieces of good tubing, wire, connectors for future projects.

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

Many junk yards (actual dismantlers, not just metal scrap yards) will pick up dead cars and maybe even pay you a few bucks for the carcass. As long as they can get a flat bed tow truck close to your car, they can pretty well drag whatever's left up on the bed. Just call, describe the car and ask what they can do...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway. No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

A few more questions:

What exactly is the half shaft? I cannot find any references to it in Haynes manual.

Is the 4WD driveshaft identical to 2WD driveshaft? It bolts to the differential on one end - where does the other end bolt to?

What about the differential, does that ever wear out? Furthermore, my car is

2WD, parts car is 4WD, are the differentials compatible?

Are the front driveaxles identical to rear driveaxles?

Where is the 4WD transfer case located? Should I remove that before all the other stuff? Once I remove the driveaxles and the wheels, I won't be able to support the car on ramps. Or, after I remove the driveaxles, can I put the wheels back on and get it back on ramps for other removals? What's the sequences in which all this stuff should be removed?

Joe Kultgen wrote:

Reply to
An Metet

The front "half shaft" is the Auto Zone listing for the complete assembly from the piece that fits over the splined stub at the transmission out to the threads the axle nut screws onto, including the rubber boots but not the steering knuckle or wheel bearings. If you want to do both sides at once you get two "half shafts" not a "full shaft". At least not until you get to the checkout. :-)

Nope. 2WD is F(ront)WD and there is no need for a transfer case, drive shafts to the rear, or a rear differential.

Don't think they're compatible. Everything wears out eventually but a standard differential, (not limited slip), will probably outlast the rest of the car.

Nope. On the 4WD Loyale the rear axles have a splined stub like the differential and the half shaft is held on the splines by a roll pin at each end. While the half shafts can be swapped from left to right, they are not interchangeable front to back.

Any of the rear drive train probably isn't going to be useful as spares for a FWD car so you might as well save yourself the trouble. Try to save the small, expensive parts. (fuel pump, ECU, instrument panel parts)

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen