Rear shaft boots

I've had a squeak in my left rear wheel for about a week. Seems like brakes, so yesterday I pulled out the pads and checked them out...the tab that makes noise is still just over 1/8 inch from the rotor. Lotsa life left there, apparently.

But, I noticed that both boots on the left rear drive shaft are broken. Doesn't look like something I can do myself, so what's an estimate of the labor time for replacing these?

And BTW...the squeak is gone after removing and reinstalling the pads.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

maybe the pads were glazed, and you rearanged things. I don't know Sube's yet, but are the pads the same, that you could have swaped the sides?

VF

Reply to
houndman

Nope, I took them out one at a time. They got noisy again after a few days. A friend suggested taking the corner off the front edge, and maybe I'll put some grease behind the pads just for grins.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

If they got noisy again, they still could have been glased. Were they hard to get off, and maybe you scraped them on the edge of the rotor? Anyway, I would try a little sanding on the contact surface. I had a car stolen and was renting a car, and the squeal would be horrendous, like a train makes, braking or going slow on curved tracks. It rained one day, and they stoped. After that, a friend was washing his car, and i asked to use his hose, and I sprayed the disks, and it stoped for a day. Luckily the rental co called their cars back.

I replaced a CV joint boot with a Jiffy Boot, which is split, and wraps around the joint, and little nuts and bolts secure the seam. I put rubber cement on the seam to seal it better.

VF

Reply to
houndman

They came off pretty easy, didn't even need my c-clamp. Thanks for the tip on the boot, I'll look for those.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Where do you get those? I just bought a used 1997 Impreza OBS and it's missing the two front inner boots and I'd like to replace them asap. Do you or anyone else think it's OK to just replace the boots or do the joints need to be repacked?

Reply to
Ray

I just saw them in a JC Whitney catalog for $13 each.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

I got one for an 86' Chevy at Pep Boys. Don't know CV joints that well, but think I would clean the old grease out, and repack it with the grease that comes with the boots. No telling how long they were off, and if any dirt got in. Mine just had splits, and grease leaking out, so I just added more grease, and no problems in 4 yrs, but not many miles.

VF

Reply to
houndman