Recirculate Auto A/C Default

I have a 2003 OBW LL Bean with the auto climate control. Whenever I use the "auto" setting when A/C is needed, it goes into the recirculate mode. Even after driving for over 1/2 hour it does not switch over to the outside air mode. The manual says that outside air setting is the default, and also not to use the recirculate any longer than necessary as windows may fog. I also do not like the significant extra noise of the fan when in the "recirculate" mode. It also prevents me from using the "ECON" setting with outside air since as soon as you touch any mode function the auto function goes off and you cannot access the "econ" setting.

I complained to the dealer and they said that it was normal and they saw no problem - that the book was wrong. I had them start a 2004 with the auto system and it did the same thing. I called the Subaru 800 number and after an operator went back to a tech two or three times after I finally got her to understand what I was saying, she told me the tech said that the auto setting defaulting to "recirculate" is normal and that ended the conversation.

Has anyone else run into this problem and, if so, how did you get it resolved? I don't know what else to do since the shop says it is normal and I can't get past an operator at the Subaru National (USA) number.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Reply to
Don

So "the book is wrong" is the dealer's expert diagnosis. I wonder what they will say when you have a problem, like the damper is stuck in the recirc position from constantly being in that postion, and you want it fixed under warranty. They might try to claim you have operated it wrong because the manual clearly warns about extended use of the recirc mode and notes the default position. Obviously you can't be held responsible for problems which occur when operating the car according to erroneous instructions. It makes you wonder what else is wrong in the book?

You might suggest to SOA in an e-mail that they send out owner's manual updates to everyone if the book is indeed wrong.

"recirculate"

Reply to
tcassette

"recirculate"

That doesn't sound right.

I don't have a new Subaru with automatic climate control, but I did once own a vehicle with ACC, and I know it didn't work like that. Fogging the windows should be the least of your worries, as using the recirc nonstop can cause a buildup of carbon dioxide in the car. While I doubt anyone would suffocate under these conditions (as the car is not 100% airtight) it will cause you to become tired and although you may not fall asleep at the wheel, the decreased awareness is dangerous.

I know this because I've experienced it firsthand, when my girlfriend bumped the recirc button during a long trip. By the time we arrived, I was yawning up a storm (and she was sound asleep) but we were both fully alert a few minutes after leaving the vehicle. When we got back in, I noticed the button was lit up, and realized that it had been on the entire time.

Personally, I wish they'd have timers on the recirc function anyway. You only need to use it if you're trying to cool down the car fast or are passing through a stinky area.

Sorry I can't help you further, but I'd keep on investigating. And until then, keep a window cracked. ;)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Looked in the Legacy 2001 tech manual and the only information is under the HVAC General Description and seems to indicate that the only time Fresh is the default is when you are hetaing up the car, otherwise the inlet is automatic...

2 AUTO switch A. AUTO switch "ON" a. AUTO switch display illuminates. B. Temp. control switch b. 18°C (65°F) (Max. Cold)  Outlet air ? Cool  Air flow ? HI (AUTO)  Outlet ? VENT  Inlet ? AUTO  Compressor ? AUTO

C. TEMP control switch c. Air and air outlet is gradually set from mode change as follows: 18°C (65°F) to  Outlet air: cool ? hot 32°C (85°F).  Air flow: AUTO  Outlet: VENT ? BI-LEVEL ? HEAT  Inlet: AUTO

D. Temp. control switch d. Outlet air ? Hot 32°C (85°F) (Max. Hot)  Air flow ? HI (AUTO)  Outlet ? HEAT  Inlet ? FRESH (AUTO)  Compressor ? AUTO

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

do you REALLY think that automakers would create a climate control system that was truly 100% recirc? thus opening pandora's box to lawsuits from folks suffering oxygen deprivation??

perhaps your yawning was due to being tired? it is not surprising you woke up after getting out of your car and walking around. that's why they have rest stops on the highway! :)

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

"recirculate"

My 04 OBW LL Bean works the same way. I find it annoying also, as I would never choose to use recirc air, even when it's hot out. When you first get in the car on a hot day, the air outside is cooler, so why would I want to use the hotter, inside air? By the time it cools down, it's fine to continue to use outside air, so recirc is useless in a car with decent a/c. Anyway, I just keep increasing the temp control 1 degree at a time until it switches over to outside air. I eventually lower it again. But, they really need to change the programming of this thing. It is one of the few things about the car that I hate. The other things, BTW, are that you can't redirect the windshield washer sprayers. Because of where they point, the bottom left part of the driver's side windshield never gets wet, and just streaks.

Reply to
Alan

That's strange. My 2003 OBW (H-6 3.0) defaults to the outside air mode every time I turn on the A/C. That annoyed me, because sometimes the outside air here in Alabama is extremely humid. Also, based on information from owner's manuals of previous cars, I figured the system was wasting energy by drawing in and cooling that hot, humid outside air instead of recirculating the already-cooled air that was in the cabin.

But, the information I found about *this* vehicle said the system would draw in outside air to reduce fogging of the windows. AFAIK, it never switches to recirculation mode by itself, and every time I switch it (like when I'm following a diesel truck, or when I drive past a pulp mill), it switches back when I turn off and re-start the engine.

C. Brunner

Reply to
C. Brunner

There have been more than one report on this newsgroup of owner's manuals not being updated to reflect changes in various features. Looks like that might have happened here.

Both owner's manual and actual operation of my 2003 Forester is outside air. Me - I prefer recirc most of the time unless it gets really foggy inside, but as we've seen here it ends up being largely a matter of taste.

General view here and at other Subey sites is that the auto climate control S**KS in just about every dimension.

Reply to
BBB

I went from dry pavement on the freeway into a downpour once and my windshield totally fogged up so fast I couldn't see a thing. Recirc was accidentally on. Hitting the brakes was not an option as I didn't know what was behind me. The wife made the recirc to circ change and fired up the A/C while I drove with me head out in the rain to ensure I stayed on the freeway. In fifty years of driving, I never experienced it before. It had to be really cold rain on a really hot windshield that did it.

I wouldn't buy 'the book is wrong' for a minute. Requesting the phone number for the regional manager can get quick results sometimes but only if SOA knows what the fix is. From the comments I've been seeing, I wouldn't touch Suby's climate control with a ten foot pole, and I've driven Suby's exclusively since '90.

BoB

Reply to
BoB

Well, is it a sunny/cool day or is it a sunny/hot day? If it's a sunny/cool day I can understand. If it's sunny/hot (>90F) day, then it's better to use the recirc.

Recirculate does 4 things (that I can think of now):

  1. Speeds up cooling on those sunny/hot days. (A/C on)
  2. Speeds up heating on those cloudy/cold days. (A/C off)
  3. Removes interior moisture quicker, especially during defrost. (A/C on)
  4. Saves you from breathing those fumes from smoke puking vehicles in front.

I like my recirculate button.

Reply to
Xtranet

Considering the other stuff I've seen automakers do? Yes, it's fully within the realm of possibility. Remember the Corvair and the Pinto? Those are extreme examples from other automakers, but I try to keep those two vehicles in mind when trying to fathom WHY something was done on a vehicle.

As I said before, the car isn't 100% airtight, so it won't completely lock you out of fresh air, but mine does an absolutely excellent job of keeping the smell out when I drive past places that smell. There are a few locations around here (as with all cities) that will put a foul stench in your vehicle that persists for miles, and simply turning off the fan and rolling up the windows doesn't help as it leaks in through the vents which still have a little air flowing through them. From what I've read, the switch moves a plate which blocks the outside air intake completely, and although I haven't seen the part in action I do know that it keeps the smell out.

Tired? This was a couple years back, and although I've weaned myself off the caffeine, in those days it was not uncommon for me to drink 2-3 POTS of coffee a day. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly how much I drank that particular day, but it was during that era so it is very likely I was wired. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Mind if I ask how long the headaches lasted?

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

My FXT 2004 default to reciculate, but after all the car gets cold (20/30 minutes drive) it go to normal.

Reply to
Snowman

It looks like enough people have responded but here's my 2 cents. My 04 OBW defaults to whatever position it was left in when the car was shut down.

Also regarding the post about the econ setting I found that mine is still in econ mode even though with recirc on it does not display econ. It goes out of econ mode if I press the auto or a/c button. This was an unscientific test performed by noting the 1 to 2 mpg increase in fuel mileage when I use econ.

"recirculate"

Reply to
Greg

You can email the question to Subaru. When asking the question I would leave it open ended and not provide the answer. Just ask what should the default setting be. If they say it's outside air, then demand they fix it.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Helberg