Replace rear main seal on '98 Imprezza 2.2

Auto or manual? pulling the transmission is the hardest part

Reply to
StephenH

Pack the backside with grease to help prevent that spring from popping out during installation and use only a OEM seal. I know folks that have used aftermarket seals that have popped out after a few miles because the seal OD wasn't right.

Reply to
johninky

That seems to be the case most of the time!

I don't have the car yet. There is a 19 YO *girl* that has joined the Marines! (I told her she has more balls than I do!!!) and I got to thinhking the other day an Imprezza Wagon would be the perfect car for my job. Nuts! I should have asked her before she left.

Low and behold, she was around Saturday. She said she offered the car to someone else, but that the rear seal was really leaking bad. Hopefully the other person will pass on it, because she only wants $500 for it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sneak over there and throw some xtra fluids under it. Maybe you can scare off the other buyer!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Mix up a little oil and water and throw it under the oil pan? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku