replacing cat converter

About to replace the converter on my 00 OBW and was wondering if anyone here has done so personally and did you run into any problems, need for unusual tools, etc?

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I don't know anything about Subaru cats, but I did have an interesting discussion about the subject with my mechanic friend regarding my daughter's Civic. He said that aftermarket cats run $100-$200 and last 1 or 2 years. Real OEM cats cost about $600 and last 6-8 years. So you'll probably have to chose your poison...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The OEM cats are designed to meet he 80,000 mile MINIMUM Government mandate. All cats on my last three cars were sold with 140,000+ miles and never needed a replaced cat. To do this you must do the required tune-ups before the car runs poorly.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I would beging spraying the bolts with PB Blaster now and keep it up for a few days until time to do the work. Also, I believe ther a 2 kinds of replacement gasket, one of them is metal and supposedly better. If the cat does not come with new bolts, consider buying new stainless ones.

talk to Jamie at

and see what kinda price she has on OEM kit to replace. there are other discount dealerships too.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for comment guys.

Already have the converter but haven't starte the work yet. Eastern Catalytic has just started offering a direct replacement for newer Subies. On-line prices run about $250-$270 & include all the hardware to install. The DEC's that have been available for a while run about $80-$90 more. Both are WAY less than factory replacement.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey