Legacy Headlight Problem

Subaru Legacy 2004 "35th Anniversary Edition" wagon Both low beam headlights don't work, and both daylight running lights don't work. High beams and fog lights are OK. I think there's some problem with the switch that turns off the daylight running lights when the emergency brake is on. How do I get to that switch? Is there a relay associated with that switch? How are the lights dimmed for daylight use? (Filaments in series, resistor, etc. ?)

To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Reply to
g_czplzn

I'll assume you checked the lamps already. Check fusible links, fuses, and relays in the electrical box under the hood. I've seen weird headlight problems originate here.

Don't know about the relay, but the e-brake switches are at the back of the lever. You will have to disassemble the center console to get to them; a couple screws in the cargo pocket, and then a bunch of snap-togeather panels.

There's a resistor pack under the hood; a silver finned box about

2X3X1 inches with one cable pig-tail. It was on the R. wheel arch on my wife's '02 Forry. You can simply unplug it to disable the DRLs if desired.

I think I have an electrical diagram for a '04 Impreza. Probably pretty similar headlight arrangement. Email direct if you think that might help, and I'll send it along.

ByeBye! S.

Thanks for the info, Steve. It turns out that both bulbs were burned out. That surprised me. Either someone in my family didn't notice when the first on burned out, or both of them burned out at essentially the same time. I'll spare you the details, but it didn't take long for me to figure that out, and I didn't tear anything apart. I do have some other questions though. I have the Haynes book, and on the wiring diagrams, I see mention of "Combination Meter", which is apparently the instrument panel. I also see some wires going to the "OP Connector". Any idea what that is? I see a connector (R79) called the "Trailer connector". Is that on all cars, or only ones with a special trailer package? Finally, any way to know where the connectors are located and what the designations mean? For example, some begin with a B (e.g. B99), some with an R (e.g. R26) and some with an F (e.g. F3) and now I see one with a T (T7).

Thanks.

George

*>>How do I get to that switch? Is there a relay associated with that
Reply to
George

Sorry, I'm not gonna be too much help on this one. The "combination meter" is the instrument panel for sure. OP? There is a cigarette lighter "power" plug in one of the rear pockets on the wagons; Optional Power. maybe? Also on the wagons there may be a connector where you can plug in the OEM trailer light adaptor; look in the spare tire well, or behind the plastic trim below the hatch. Small white

6-pin item on the ones I've looked at.

I think the connector designations are somewhat arbitrary. The factory service manual has drawings that show where all of the electrical system components are located, including the connectors, grounding points, etc. Short of that, there isn't any way to tell AFAIK. Paper copies are expensive (try ebay), but you can D/L in pdf format from Subaru for a fee, or perhaps even find it for free on the web with a bit of searching.

My experience suggests that the DRLs eat up lamps. I've also had problems with the heat generated from them actually melting the headlight connectors; replaced the right one twice on my wife's '02 Forester. I tried being sneaky and disconnecting her DRL resistor, but she just turns them on anyway. She thinks it's safer, and realistically it probably is a bit . . . easier to keep fixing it than to argue the point in any event ;-)

ByeBye! S.

I agree that DRL seems to eat bulbs. I disabled DRL on mine to avoid the embarrassment of a dead battery when I'd forget to turn the ignition switch from ON to ACC after messing with the windows or the sunroof ( I spend a lot of 'sit and wait''listening to the radio' time watching contractors and site tenants). My bulb life went up drastically even though I drive with the lites on.

My wife's '97 OBS doesn't have DRLs. She drives with the lites on also, we haven't replaced a headlight bulb in 8 years.

(watch...now that I said that she'll loose every filament up front...)

Reply to
nobody >