Replacing Front Pads

I used to replace the pads on my FIAT with a screwdriver, pliers, a hammer and a C clamp.

1-Pull cotter pins on shims with pliers 2-Drift out the shims by tapping on them with screwdriver/hammer 3-With pad out use C-clamp to push caliper piston back far enough so new pad will fit. 4-Reverse process

I now have a '93 Impreza LS with front and rear discs (14" wheels). Is the above process going to work or are there some tricks to the Subaru's?

Reply to
BlueJay

  • Remove wheel (well I don't have to on the bike ok?)
  • Remove bottom bolt from caliper
  • Swing caliper up
  • Remove clip and pads & remember where shims and wear indicators go if fitted
  • Push piston right back
  • Check rotor condition then reverse proc, making sure that shims and co go back correctly
  • You may need to jiggle the caliper a bit to get both pads to clear the edge of the rotor
  • Tighten bolt, replace wheel and pump pedal to clear slop *before* driving

Oh yeah ... and you won't have to shut your eyes to avoid seeing the rust holes in the firewall and the front crossmember like I usually had to on older Fiats either! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

That sounds about right to me. The main thing I recall from changing the pads on a Subaru of that era is that moving the caliper will loosen the bleeder valve for the brake line. I'd spilled quite a bit of brake fluid before I got that fixed.

Oh, and get the biggest C-clamp you can find. We had a really hard time getting it to find purchase on the piston.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

They do sell an inexpensive easy to use tool for that at autozone, advance or probably anywhere. All it is is a piece of metal and a screw.

Reply to
Mike

In my experience, a caulk gun and a could paint stirring flats can even do the honors....

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

that last word was supposed to be "couple"

Reply to
Todd H.

Sounds fair enough, but I usually just use the wheelbrace from the toolkit. Works fine once you get the angle in the right place. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

FWIW, dealer quoted me $250 per axle for brakes on my late model Forester.

Reply to
QX