changing front brake pads?

I have an '86 300E that I purchased from an elderly freind of my mothers. A true sunday driver, the car only has 24500 miles on it. It was garaged kept and maintained with complete care. However I think that this woman drove around with her foot on the brake, and I need to change the front brake shoes. How hard is it, (I have changed them on different cars in the past) and what do you guys recommend...I heard ceramic shoes are a little better for the MB and help with the brake dust. Thanks. -Vincent-

Reply to
VAN

It is quite easy to change the pads and rotors on those cars. I recommend PRB (or Axxis brand) Ultimate Ceramic pads.

You should also change the front rotors if they are worn while you are in there. To remove the rotors, take off the caliper (hang it from a wire) and remove a small allen screw which retains the rotor to the hub. You don't touch the wheel bearings. If the car has floating calipers, you will need a "C" clamp to press the caliper piston back into it's bore to replace the pads. I believe you have the floating calipers on that car. The fixed caliper pads can be retracted with a pair of channel locks and you need to drive out the retaining pins with a small drift. I buy my PRB creamic pads from BMA in Glendale, California. They change about $30 a set and they will ship them to you. Ask for Patrick or Eve when you call BMA. Their number is (818)

240-1223.
Reply to
VCopelan

Easier than on most other cars. You might want to change the rotors as well, but if you don't it's simple (even pretty simple if you do). Remove the top caliper bolt only, just loosen the bottom one. Then the caliper will rotate down and give you access to the pads. Out with the old and in with the new. Pivot it back up, re-install the bolts, you're done. Oh, and pop in new wear sensors while you're in there.

Bill Balmer

Reply to
Cossie

Reply to
marlinspike

Ive used semi metallic PRB Metal Master pads for many years. The PRB Deluxe pad is another pad which actually isn't semi metallic. I recently switched to PRB Ultimate Ceramic/Kevlar pads. I like them better than the Metal Master pads

Reply to
VCopelan

You're right. I suppose I meant that I have PRB Metal Masters Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

Use Mercedes o.e. brake pads only. Mercedes rotors cannot be turned, they are cast. o.e. pads will not score the rotors. This is one piece of Mercedes knowledge you will learn, just like learning that green antifreeze should not be used in a MB radiator! Ceramics are used on the very newest AMG models but definitely not on a 124. There are upgrades for the 124 from MB. The rear upper strut link (of the five arm, multilink rear suspension) has been upgraded to a much more heavy duty arm and bolt. This arm bears the brunt of the weight when cornering and MB realized they had to make the arm stronger. The front swaybar bushings (soft rubber) have been upgraded to a firmer, synthetic compound. You can source any MB part dicounted from Rusty at 800-741-5252 quickly. P.

Reply to
Peter Klein