Replacing outside mirror?

Hi:

'97 Legacy Outback. I need to replace the driver side power/heated mirror. It is bouncing all over the place & won't hold position.

It looks like the part runs about $100-130. (internet web sites) Is this a do-it-yourself pop off the cover & bolt on job?

Or would the labor charge be so small that I could just let the dealer do the whole job?

Thanks, ~~Phil~~

Reply to
~~Phil~~

Phil,

I fixed problem on mine, though 2002 model, with hair drier and WD-40 couple of weeks ago.

So here are the steps:

- Use hair drier to warm up the black plastic frame that holds mirror in place

- It takes 3-5 min. depending on outside temp. where you are.

- You will notice that mirror kind of moves easy once frame is warmed up

- Now gently remove it from the plastic frame. It is tied up to the holder, at the back of the mirror, with double-sided tape

- Once it's out just disconnect mirror heater cables

- Fix the holder (if necessary), one screw only

- Heat the mirror frame again with hair drier

- Put new double-sided tape (get it from Home Depot, or any other hardware store, make sure it's good for rain/snow/heat)

It took me 15-20 min. out-and-in.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Voja

~~Phil~~ wrote:

Reply to
Voja

Hi Folks,

I,ve taken the drivers side mirror, with power/heat, on and off of my 98' OBW a few times. It is a fairly easy job so I wouldn't pay to have it done. You will need to remove the inside door covering to remove the whole mirror. This job is also fairy easy.

Once the inside door covering is off you will see the plug for the power to the mirror and the plug for the heat. You will also see the three bolts/screws that are holding the mirror to the door.

Expect the whole job to take anywhere from thirty-minutes to one hour.

Good Luck!

Reply to
[ evL ]