legacy A.B.S warning light

2001 legacy, A.B.S warning light is permanantley on, on the dashboard, i have cleaned all 4 sensors but the light is still on,brakes are ok, there is plenty of brake fluid and battery is ok, can anyone help ?
Reply to
tinny

Take it to a dealer or reputable repair shop. Now. You have no idea what exactly is wrong, it may be a fuse or it may be major trouble... remember insurance usually won't pay up if you know your car was faulty at the time of a smash. I suppose if they find a lockup skid and you're in a 2001 Subie, they'll know something was wrong.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
grape

Reply to
Edward Hayes

One of the discounts on my insurance is for ABS. If you disable it, get into an accident and they find that it was disabled, it could be voided.

Don D

Don

Reply to
Edward Hayes

ABS = no skid, no tyre marks. ABS disabled = four wheel lockup skid and a completely different trajectory to impact.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

When the ABS light comes on there will be a stored trouble code, just like with the check engine light. There is a procedure to put the system in a diagnostic mode where the code will be flashed out through the light, this is detailed in the service manual and is something you can do yourself without special tools. It only requires hooking some test connectors together, no scanner is needed although another option is to have a dealer or shop check it for you. Once the code is known the problem can be found and corrected.

Reply to
mulder

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:03:54 GMT, "mark jb" wrote in news:430ebedb$ snipped-for-privacy@duster.adelaide.on.net:

A common misconception. A recent local news story here showed skid marks from an ABS equipped vehicle on the road confusing the investigators. Even they had to discover that ABS systems work by detecting skidding and then releasing the brake. This can leave intermittent marks, depending on the road surface and the type of tires. A tire does not have to be *locked* under braking to leave rubber behind.

A skilled driver (ABS or no ABS) performs threshold braking and leaves no marks.

Reply to
Dave Morrison

We're talking about a d*****ad who wants to turn it off cause he can... 'grape'... Anyone of that skill would have a full four-wheel lockup skid if they disabled the ABS.

Myself, I've taken tight corners too fast before and come to a complete sudden halt when cars turn over the road in front of me... zero skid, absolute threshold braking.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb