Rich or poor ?

I just replaced catalytic converter and tail pipe on 2.2 Subaru Legacy Auto 1994. After three days, I noticed that the inside of the new tail pipe was covered with black soot, indicating (to me) that the engine was running too rich. I understand that the computer is supposed to adjust the mixture.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
peppone

Now you know WHY it needed a new convertor! Better get that straightened out QUICK before you melt down the new one...

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

Um, I might be stating the obvious here but I hope you don't think it's supposed to be grey inside the tailpipe?

James

Reply to
James

I would like to express my profound gratitude for the most useful responses (2) I received following my request for suggestions.

I suppose that I am guilty of lack of clarity in my request. I shall therefore rephrase:

will be appreciated.

I am delighted to be **alarmed** by the necessary promptness in correcting this "mixture" problem and delighted to be asked my preference in colours for the exhaust pipe.

I do express my thanks for the extreme concern previously stated.

Reply to
peppone