Service Manual / Knock Sensor

What is the best service manual for my son's '99 Impreza RS2.5? We need to fix a couple of things, and I checked our library last night but they don't have the Chilton's for this car. Are there any on-line resources?

The immediate focus is figuring out where the knock sensor is. We have a CEL and the code indicates an issue with that. Based on some on-line research, tightening or loosening the knock sensor may fix the code. But I don't know where the sensor is or what it looks like!

Thx,

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

One more thing:

Amazingly, there's absolutely no mention of the location or how to replace the knock sensor in the official 95 Subaru Impreza service manual or supplements.

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Generally when a code for the knock sensor shows up, you should replace the sensor. Get it from Subaru, not aftermarket. It's not very expensive.

The knock sensor looks like a 1" dia. steel "O" with an electrical connector on one side. A 10mm-head bolt goes thru the center of the "O" and attaches it to the block.

If your 99 impreza is similar to my 95, then the knock sensor is located on the driver's side of the engine, if you look down between the arms of the intake manifold on the back end. Use a flashlight and you'll see a round thing with a bolt going down thru it and a wire coming off the back side. The bolt will be tight, but shouldn't require more than 20-25 ft-lbs torque to remove. If it seems stuck, get someone with an impact wrench to loosen it, don't break off the bolt head, and use a 6-point socket with an extension to get at it. Disconnect the wire after removing it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate the response.... Interesting that it's not in the manual!

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Bob, is this it?

Thx,

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Yup, that's it!

Reply to
Bob Bailin

I found a little more info on some other sites. Going to try and pic up the part today and replace it tomorrow, hopefully that will fix the P0325, and then we can work on the P0446!!

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Dan, Did replacing it fix the problem. There are lot's of interesting email threads here and it is nice to know if they have a happy ending.

Geoff

Reply to
GJ

The rule of thumb at our shop, if it's a knock sensor code, its a knock sensor.

Reply to
StephenW

Yup, I replaced one on 2000 Impreza RS according to the DTC. cost ~20.00 from eBay.

Reply to
Tony Hwang