shifting

Hi I got some trouble shifting or down-shifting in 1 gear when it's snowing or when it's wet, is it related whit the awd ??? or it's a dealer issue

Reply to
WrxWagon06

Sounds like it's a driver issue to me ;-)>.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

It's really not my first subi and this one is a little bit rough on first and the clutch is hi almost no friction point in mid.

"David Betts" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
WrxWagon06

Depends what you really mean. Shifting into 1st is always a little trickier if the vehicle is still moving. On my Legacy and on our Loyale earlier, it always took some 'convincing' to move in. On the upshift, this is not a problem. If I remember correctly, 2nd through 5th use a synchromesh while

1st does not. Cheers, Tim
Reply to
Tim Reeve

Hi,

My Loyale is synchro on all five, but 1st isn't exactly "in the pattern" as far as being able to downshift easily. It's more like the synchro allows a shift into first while the car's still rolling as opposed to "crash box" style first gears that required the car to be motionless, or the application of some skill with the clutch and throttle (true double clutching, good rev-matching or whatever.)

Since the OP mentioned snow, my first thought was the gearbox is cold, and the synchro's just not engaging easily. I'm sure most of us notice the shifts get easier as things warm up. But when he added rain to the equation, I lost that train of thought. So right now I've got nothing solid... especially since he also mentioned the clutch grabs near the top, so it sounds like he's got good disengagement.

Any chance the gearbox doesn't have the correct weight gear oil? Maybe a switch to synthetic could help--many people claim it's helped them with a variety of cars that had dino oil originally. OTOH, if a synthetic came in the gearbox from the factory, a change to the wrong one COULD have serious consequences: a friend had a GMC work truck that came with factory synthetic, and had it changed at an independent shop when the time came. The gearbox started shifting poorly immediately thereafter, and within a coupla hundred miles had locked into one gear. He towed the truck to a GMC dealer who explained the problem was GM had two part numbers for the correct oil depending on which gearbox the truck used--the gearbox serial number was required to get the proper oil part number--and the shop used the wrong one. Cost them the price of a gearbox rebuild! A buddy's big Ford truck--also factory filled w/ synthetic--has a tag on the gearbox specifying which oil to use, so I guess this is a more common situation than I'd have thought.

And the upshift problem really throws some more confusion into the picture. There's no "real" adjustment to speak of on the shift linkage on my Loyale--has Subie changed that so perhaps there's an external adjustment issue with the WRX? If nothing can be changed externally, it sounds like maybe someone's gonna need to look inside the gearbox for a bad shift fork and/or synchro. Dealer time?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Think am gone a go to the dealer see what going on , but my clutch doesn't feel like a 10,000km it feel like 100,000km old car !!! more news after they appointment

"Rick Courtright" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@>

Reply to
WrxWagon06

My STi is hard to downshift into first gear in, but I wonder if that's partly because first is just so low a ratio in that car that second gear is appropriate more often than would be normal in other cars? I have to be going /really/ slowly before I can downshift into first. Mind you, I've not had the car since new, so I've no idea how much the previous owner might have abused the transmission: I can drive my STi smoothly, but it takes a lot of care because it's the pickiest car I've ever driven, including the old Fiat Panda I had whose clutch unit was so screwed up most people couldn't drive it at all. The most forgiving stick-shift I've ever driven is probably my wife's Saturn SW2.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

You're not the only one who needs a little finesse to downshift to 1st in his STi. My 2004 STi is similar, and in order to do it when moving any faster than a crawl, I have to do a full double-clutch.

I believe it's related to the *very* tall gear ratio difference between 2nd and 1st. Once you get the hang of double-clutching to 1st gear, it'll be easier; however, it's mostly not required. Downshifting to 2nd is mostly all I need to come almost to a stop, and then braking finishes the job. 1st is just overkill because you can only do it when you're just about stopped anyway, and then the brakes can finish the job.

Reply to
k. ote

Ok guys the clutch ad to be ajusted, and now !! Shifting into 1st is always a little trickier but very easier! they did a really good job ajusting the clutch and now the friction point is good 2/3 from the top.

"WrxWagon06" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
WrxWagon06