Sirius with 05 Forester XT?

I know using an FM transmitter is a bad idea, both because the antenna's in the rear and because the FCC has made them reduce the transmitting power. Since the stock head unit doesn't have an input jack, what's the best way to connect?

One thought was a car tuner, but I think that's pretty much permanently attached to the car. Which one would the Forester require? What brand of radio is the Forester's?

What about a wired FM modulator like this one?

think it goes between the antenna and the head unit. Do they work well? Howhard would it be to install in the Forester? Thanks!

Reply to
forester

I think it goes between the antenna and the head unit. Do they work well? How> hard would it be to install in the Forester?>

They work quite well, at least the units I've installed. The sound quality is limited to the audio capabilities of the FM radio, but that's better than what the FM transmitter units give under all but ideal conditions.

I don't know what the dashboard in your Forester is like, but you will have to pull the radio out to plug the unit in. Power should be available off the cigarette lighter wire.

Reply to
nobody >

I think it goes between the antenna and the head unit. Do they work well? > How

Let

be your friend......

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

I've dealt with Crutchfield before, with good results. Can you be any more specific though?

Thanks!

Reply to
forester

Thanks for the info, I guess it's a question of how hard it is to pull out the dash. Also, does using the cigarette lighter wire require soldering, or is it just a matter of plugging it in?

As an alternate solution, I wondered about switching out the head unit for something that plays mp3s on CD and has an AUX input jack. I looked on Crutchfield and found many, starting with a Dual XDM6820 at $79.99 (3.5mm jack sounds like an afterthought though) and a lot at $99.99 with AUX jack on the faceplate.

Would something like that allow me to play mp3s (makes up for loss of 6-CD changer), and hook up mp3 player (not iPod) through 3.5mm headset jack, and use a Sirius receiver through the jack? Obviously it's more expensive than a wired FM modulator but might be more flexible. Though perhaps the FM modulator might work with an mp3 player too?

And does replacing the head unit imply soldering a bunch of cables? I'd prefer not to be doing that kind of thing to my vehicle at this point.

Thanks!

Reply to
forester

You could solder it if you want to ;} I would use a squeeze-on tap made by 3M and usually available at better auto stores. If that source doesn't work, try a trailer and/or RV place. Use the 'red' size. These are done with just a pair of pliers.

Going up a few dollars can get you more features. You can buy a Sirius tuner that integrates to (is controlled by) the head unit if you choose properly. Just about every current model over $100 does CD-MP3 now. Kenwood *did* make a completely integrated Sirius/HD radio/ MP3-WMA CD head unit, the EZ900, but the keyword is *did*. Start browsing and decide what you want. Some units are coming with USB ports to plug in a flashdrive full of MP3s.Many units have an "aux" input but it needs to be brought out to the dash front with a custom cable.

If you buy from Crutchfield, they throw in an adapter pigtail that plugs into the factory radio connector. You splice *that* to the head unit's cable. You could solder those if you want;} Butt splices are easier for most folks.

They also provide instructions for taking the dash apart, BTW.

You're welcome.

Ahh yes.. solder.. I'm just being facetious about it. I've gone thru about 15 pounds of rosin-core and 5 pounds of acid-core and bar solder so far in life. *Now* they tell me how bad lead fumes are....

Reply to
nobody >