sleeping in OBW

I was just reading the thread about curtains here. How comfortable is it to sleep in the Outback? (I'm 5' 10") Do you need to make any adaptations?

Reply to
Neil Bolton

I have taken 3 road-trips, ranging from 6 to 10 weeks in duration, in my 1997 Outback. In my opinion, it's the ultimate road-trip car !

I found it very satisfactory for sleeping, but I was traveling in the (American) southwest, where there's no rain or bugs. Thus I was able to leave the tailgate open, or if it was really cold, slightly ajar. With the tail-gate completely shut, I found it a WEE bit cramped for supine sleeping; if you like to sleep on your side, no worries. I am between 5'10" and 5'11" in height. You might also want to make sure the model you're considering has the exact same inside dimension as my 1997 (at edmunds.com perhaps ?) since it's such a close call. Obviously a pad of some kind is called for; I used a piece of 4"-thick foam rubber (el-cheapo mattress) which I carved to fit around one wheel-well, leaving 18" or so gap along the other side to put tupperware bins holding clothes, toiletries, and food, as well as one of those coolers that plugs into the rear cigarette outlet (get it from WalMart, much cheaper than from Subaru).

Whenever I'm able to talk a member of the fairer gender into accompanying me for the full duration of said road-trip, I suspect I will elect to set up a tent with a tandem-sized thermarest. I think the rear area would be too tight for two people (unless your sweetie is very small and you're still on your honeymoon :-) plus, with a two-person sized pad there is no longer room for all those bins. On the other hand, sleeping in the car allows you to utilize uneven/rocky camping spots where a tent wouldn't work, and I suppose the bins could be stored on top of the mattress and relocated when you're sleeping.

Have fun, John

Reply to
John Eyles

I've slept in the back of my OBW many times. I don't bother with a mesh screen over the window (very few insects in Colorado) but it wouldn't be hard to rig something up.

I prop the rear door slightly open so I can climb out the back; that also helps with ventilation.

Rear window tinting, plus one of those sun-deflecting things on the windshield, take care of the privacy.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Many years ago somebody made a tent that went over the open rear door of a wagon for camping. I don't remember who made it or where to find one these days. It would be the ticket for sleeping in a Subie wagon.

Tony

adaptations?

Reply to
Anthony

That was Jeep, I think.

Reply to
xymergy

No it was an accessorie item. Perhaps JC Wippme had them. I also recall seeing one on a Toyletta wagon in a camp ground.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

I've slept in my wagon many times on the beach at Padre Island in Texas. I open all the windows and moonroof as well as the back. I cover the car (loosely) with a very light nylon car cover and cover the rear hatch with a mosquito net. This setup allows ventilation but still keeps the bugs out and believe me the coast mosquitoes will carry you off if they can get to you. I lower the rear seats and put a foam egg crate mattress on the floor as well as several comforters. I've have some wonderful nights.

Reply to
Mike Minerva