Smoky 97 Legacy: oil leaking onto manifold

I have a 97 Legacy wagon, standard transmission, basic model. Lately I've been noticing (and smelling) smoke coming out of the engine compartment and I traced it to some oil that somehow is getting onto the exhaust manifold right where it forks under the transmission. When I look under the car after a trip, I can see smoke coming from the fork. Not much oil is on there but enough to generate smoke.

I got under the car and tried to find a leak but so far I haven't been able to spot one. I did noticed a drop of oil hanging at the bottom of the oil filter so I changed the filter and so far no oil on it. But I'm not sure if that is where the oil was leaking from. It could have splashed on there from somewhere else. From where? I don't know and I still can't find a leak. It seems to be oiliest around the steering gear/rods area.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I sure would like to know the solution.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
wayne

try checking the passenger side front half shaft. The inner boot tends to dry out & split due to the heat from the nearby exhaust, throwing grease onto the exhaust & causing the smoke & smell. Recommend have a replacement refurbished half shaft fitted rather than just replacing the boot & grease, as the universal joint is almost certainly already buggered (that's a technical term

8^))

Chris

Reply to
CRGILL

Yes, front crank oil seal.

My car looked just the same way. Get under it and feel around the timing belt case. If you get oil on your fingers, clean the case and check again after a moderately long drive.

It is deceptive because you don't see much of a drip and it doesn't always show itself after a short drive. Mine was making the transmission skid pan and the exhausts around it covered with oil but very little in the front where it was coming out. After the fix everything was dry as a bone after a long drive.

To properly fix the problem, you have to remove the oil pump, locktite the 5 backplate screws, change the o-ring and seal, clean and reapply PVC sealer to the mating surfaces and reinstall the oil pump.

Now the oil pump is on the very front of the crankcase and to get to it, you have to remove the fans, the fanbelts, the radiator, the fanbelt pulley, the timing belt covers, and the timing belt.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Also check the small drip port along the bottom of the timing cover, anything leaking behind the cover cam seals,crank seal, oil pump) will escape hear and blow right onto the Y pipe. Very common and easy to fix. TG

Reply to
TG

Can I tell there's a leak by taking off the side timing belt cover(s)? Will there be a build up of oil there? How about if I take off the cover after a moderate drive?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Where is the drip port?

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"along the bottom of the timing cover"

That was a bit of a joke but if you look/feel al>

Reply to
TG

Hi all, I have just removed the engine from my 92 Legacy (Liberty). The crank front and rear seals, the oil seal behind the right cam shaft and the seal behind the cam shaft carrier left front are all rock hard - ie leaking like a sieve. The rear crankshaft seal is a pain to replace as you have to remove the engine.

Before this I stripped the power steering pump as it too was leaking. bottom line is Subaru seals harden with heat and age and must be replaced periodically.

If you have a leak at the exhaust fork, then Id suspect either the power steering, or the rear seal.

cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul and Paula news

Never heard such crap in my life.

Reply to
Pete D

Cam seal area is very likely and easy to fix.

Reply to
Pete D

I have also had this "crap" happen. TG

Reply to
TG

I would have to remove the timing belt cover first right?

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

I have almost the exact same car (but it's an Outback) and the exact same symptoms.

I have been assuming it's the rear main crank seal, which really sucks if so, because I just had the clutch replaced and coulda fixed the seal then if I'd been thinking.

One respondent here suggested checking the PCV valve and hoses, as that can cause excessive pressure in the crankcase and cause seals to leak.

An earlier respondent said: >Yes, front crank oil seal.

Well, I HOPE that's the case with mine, because I'm due for a timing belt replacement soon. But, the location of mine (and it sounds like of yours) suggests rear rather than front seal. But as you said, it's kinda hard to tell exactly what's going on.

Good luck (to us both), John

P.S. Please followup with anything you learn (and I'll do the same) !

Reply to
John Eyles

Every time I have a leaking front crank seal, cam seal, oil pump the problem always shows itself as oil being blown back onto the Y pipe while driveling, lots of smoke and smell when you stop but no visible sigh of oil. These are problems I have had many times but I have never had a leaking rear seal. TG

Reply to
TG

I had the same exact same sounding leak on my 97 OB. It's got 140K and just last week I was told I have to replace head gaskets. I don't know how much this issue is related to my head gasket problems but I'm suspicious. I had the main seal replaced with the timing belt at 105K ..... so I don't know... Thanks for letting me vent.... Good luck..

Reply to
LCB