snapping of timing belt - damage?

anyone know if the snapping of a vivio (EN07 engine block) timing belt would cause collision between piston and valves?

there are many piston and combustion chamber types used in cars. in some (interference type) a timing belt snap would mean collision between valve and piston. in others there is enough space so they wont collide (non-interference type).

anyone ever see a vivio cylinder head/pistons?

thanks

Reply to
beerismygas

Should b eok - it is a non-interference engine

Rat

thanks, excellent info. now that i have instructions i might as well try changing the belt. it appears i have to take off the pulley to get the timing cover off.

has anyone ever done this? would superhuman strength be necessary to remove the pulley nut? what will keep the engine from turning backwards?

also when reattaching the nut do you apply super human force as well? (as in using a 3 ft leverage bar)

thanks

Rat wrote:

Reply to
beerismygas

Might want to check out this forum -

Rat

I've replaced my own timing belt. I used a cahin wrench on the pulley and just a 3/4" hand socket wrench. The nut came right off. I did take a small file to the pulley to smooth up a few marks the chain wrench made. This is the way my Haynes manual siad to do it. My old '89 Loyale had cover on the fly wheel where you could jam a screw driver or piece of metal channel to hold the fly wheel in place. This seems like a better way to go. Don't know why Subaru changed this. They also made it harder to remove the spark plugs. Took me 4 hours to remove the 4 spark plugs the first time on my Outback. Good luck with the timing belt, anybody can change it if I can.

-Nick L

news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Nick Lamendola