snow tires needed on outback?

That's your option. I prefer the wheelcovers to the cruddy-looking wheels.

June

better than

Reply to
Diva

Three of the states out here in the NorthWest have considered banning them for the reason of the studs flying out the tires at speeds exceeding the

50 mph the tire is rated for. They just can't get people to drive slow enough with them is all. I just happened to get one through my front windshield and stuck into the rear seat of my 89 GL sedan last winter. Had I of had a passenger at the time it would have hit them about chin level instead of my rear seat.
Reply to
JW

snip

snip

Any idea if the problem is the same for the newer plastic type studs, or just metal?

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I've never had problems losing studs until the tire is sufficiently worn.

Reply to
Henry Paul

To answer your question, I'm here in Atlantic Canada with a Legacy wagon, and I run Michelin Arctic Alpins in the winter. I have never had a problem going anywhere; i used to drive 5,000 to 6,000 km per month, and I drove on roads that were unplowed, where the drifts would break over the hood.

I'm a firm believer that 4 Alpins are the thing you need.

Reply to
Hallan Blaggit