1998 Camry - VIP RS3000 Alarm problem

Hi folks, I am hoping that someone here has had something similiar happen to them, or some experience with this system, because I have a weird problem: The other day I bought a 98 Camry used from a dealer, and it happened to come with the VIP RS3000 alarm system and remotes. When I attempt to arm the alarm by pushing the top button on the remote (as the manual instructs), nothing happens. According to the manual, it should lock the doors, make a chirp sound, flash the lights, and arm the alarm... none of these things happen. I also followed the procedure in the manual to turn on "Automatic Arming", but that also does nothing. I have done some basic troubleshooting.. I know the remotes work because I can cause the alarm to go into "panic mode" by holding the button for more than 2 seconds, and it is functional when reprogramming certain systems, as it should be. Just incase, I replaced the battery in the remote anyway, with no change. I also re-did the "remote programming" (telling the alarm system which remotes to listen to), just incase it was communicating wrong or something, and that also did not help. So... as far as I can tell, every function of the alarm system works fine besides the actual arming and protecting of the car, through either of the available methods; anyone have any ideas? I would love to be able to use the alarm, or even just use the built in keyless entry system, but I am stumped. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Kevin

Sorry, I meant to say the car is a 1996 - although I don't believe it makes a difference in the alarm system.

the

as

with

system