Speaking of tires?

When inflating tires to the recommended tire pressure 29/30, are these numbers for cold tire pressure before the car is being driven, or after the car has been driven?

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Cold.

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Don't be afraid to increase that number by 5-10 percent(maintaining a fron/rear difference). Often, a tire will be low by the time you recheck them, any extra load (vacation - carpooling, etc.) will heat them up more so xtra pressure is needed, and, most cars just handle better. I THINK some car manufacturers err on the low side because the car rides more softly.

do not exceed the number on the sidewall.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks. I had been messing with the figures somewhat, inflating upto a

34/35 down to a 29/30, etc. My goal was to see if it affected my gas mileage or softened the ride any. I was curious how much leeway I was allowed and also because after my 90k servicing at the dealership, I noticed that the tires were deflated to 24/25 so that made me wonder if the 29/30 was a hot temp.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Cold, or at least within first 5Km/3Ml is good. I'm running 32F/35R on an OBW & it works well. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Reply to
bigjim

It may be a little more critical on AWD cars to help reduce the chance of torque bind. The car does not, after all, have 50/50 weight distribution.

I doubt it would be a big issue though. Some of the guys at the autoX I was in this weekend run the same on all 4 corners. But then they re-adjust for the drive home.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Depends on the kind of driving you are doing and the temperature. I run the same pressures all around on the highway, but if I am driving on the twisties, I put 6PSI more in front than in the rear. It helps reduce understeer.

Reply to
JD

Hi,

As everyone's already told you, these are "cold" pressures. I think you'll generally see "cold" defined as having sat for at least 3 hrs or driven less than a mile or so (these numbers will vary according to source.)

For myself, I consider the door sticker to be MINIMUM pressures. Many people find they get better mileage (both fuel and tire) and/or handling with higher pressures. Experiment for yourself, going a pound or two at a time, to see what works best for you and your driving style. As another poster mentioned, highway conditions aren't the same as mountains, etc. A trusted tire guy once told me to always go about 2 psi over the door sticker (as long as it doesn't exceed the tire sidewall rating) to account for the widely varied temps we have on a daily basis here in SoCal. YMMV on that issue.

And get a GOOD gauge! Some folks like digitals. I have one, but prefer the Accu-Gage to all others I've used. Some of the better shops sell them, or you can go online to

When adding air, I've seen it recommended for decades to always go a bit high, then bleed down to the desired pressure. The Accu-Gage and some others have a built-in bleeding capacity that makes them really easy to use for that purpose.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright