Leaky fit between tires and aluminum rims

I spent two years with some new tires that leaked, slowly at first but increasingly as time went on, finally refilling them every two days. A local mechanic tried scrubbing the rims thoroughly and re-mounting the tires. That helped for a while, but eventually all of them leaked enough that I had to recheck them too often.

Is there any downside to the use of a sealing compound between tire and rim? I have in mind a rubber-like automotive weatherstrip cement that works to hold together my rubber sandals now and then.

Is there a better solution, short of new rims and tires?

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

I'm not saying the problem isn't at the rim - but there have been instances of alloy wheels (is that waht you have?) needing a sealant applied(on the'inside'). They can, under some circumstances ,be so porous as to allow air to escape. I think this happened on some Ford rims in the mid 90s - probably others as well.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Robert L Wilson

When I lived in IL. I discovered that the salt-water would get between the tire & rim because the tires were low on air. I then checked and set my tires cold in the coldest weather and never a problem. Tires loose about 1 psig for every 10 F. so if you set them on a 50 degree day and the temp drops to zero, then your running 5psi low and when you drive and the tire flexes, the salt gets in.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Ah - makes sense. Something a native Texan would not know!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

My last shop has a soft tar like substance for problem beads- no harm in trying and no damage to rim or tire (Firestone it was called beadsealer)

Reply to
Stephen H

Since I can lose 20 psi in the summertime, I think I have a different problem.

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Not if the corrosion has already taken place.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan