Speed at 3000 rpm?

Someone asked a few months ago about what speed their 02 or so Subaru should be running at 3000 rpm. Its seldom that I get mine up to that speed around here, but did today...82 mph at 3000 rpm in 02 Beam Outback (auto trans with overdrive top gear?).

Reply to
Jack Countryman

Just for comparison, my '71 XKE does 72 at 3000 RPM. I also get the best mileage at that RPM, 21MPG on trips.

Al

Reply to
Al

I found this interesting, so I tried with my 02 Outback H6 VDC Sedan. I was doing 83 mph @ 3000 rpm. Quite exciting. John

Reply to
John A.

76 mph @3000 rpm, CC engaged, '99 Outback wagon.

Bob Just another nice basic flake. (and old fart in training)

Reply to
Bob Landry

98 outback with manual transmission... Gearing puts me around 65mph at 3000rpm. In my wife's 03 outback with auto, it's around 75mpg.

The manual transmissions are known to run at a faster rpm for a given speed, but on the flip side I usually end up with an extra 4mpg or so in my 98 compared to our 03.

Reply to
scarano1