Spongey brakes?

So I've noticed that my brakes are feeling spongey. I added extra brake fluid, and it seems to have made it a little more responsive, but it's starting feel like it's slowly going towards sponginess again. Could there be a leak somewhere?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

When parked, do you find brake fluid puddles under your car when you run the car and pump the brakes?

Is the car old enough that the brake lines might've become soft, so they will expand under pressure? When I get my calipers replaced, I get them to also replace the brake lines. Tis easy 'nuff to ask the shop to inspect the brake lines when doing other maintenance, like a brake flush, tie rod or ball joint replace, checking the CV boots, or any other work in that area. The inspection is free.

You added more brake fluid, but that wouldn't eliminate any air that already entered into the reservoir or into the lines (from loose brake line connections or leaking from a worn caliper piston seal or elsewhere). Did you add more fluid while bleeding the lines (to get rid of the old fluid and bleed out any air)? You didn't replace the brake fluid to do a flush, and old brake fluid gets "thin".

How worn are the pads? The more wear, the thinner they are, the farther the caliper's piston has to travel. If it is sticking, travel could be uneven.

Did you call your car shop to find out what they charge for a brake system inspection, and describe the symptoms?

Reply to
VanguardLH