Rear brakes still binding on escort - HELP!!!

I have had new rear shoes & adjusters fitted on my 95 escort as the handbrake was taking 14 - 18 clicks to activate. After this the brakes started binding, where both hubs were getting equally hot. At one point I pulled the handbrake up hard & the brakes completely binded & it was a struggle to get the car to move again (made the clutch smoke!). I found that if I didn't use the handbrake for a few days, the binding stopped, so I assumed the handbrake cable must be seized. Took it to another garage today who replaced the cable. The handbrake lever feels much better now, but the rear brakes are still getting hot. i slackened off the cable has the garage had set the max clicks to 3, & ford recommend 6, didn't help though. The front brakes also bind a little, but have done for the last year or so. I cured this last time by replacing both the front callipers (4 years ago), so I just assumed the callipers may be starting to seize again. This may point at the master cylinder, but I have little confidence that this is going to cure it, & I really don't want to go to the expense of playing guessing games. The car has done 170,000 miles & with having a CVH engine I can't see it lasting much longer. I usually do most repairs myself, but had taken it to garages on this occasion because of the hassle I've had with the snapped stub axel bolts (in previous post). Sorry to drone on, but I really don't want to get rid of this car yet, especially as it's LPG converted - PLEASE HELP!!!

Reply to
Dave Griffs

when the brakes are binding, slacken the bolts that secure the master cylinder to the servo, if this releases the brakes you are on the right track. a maladjusted brake light switch can cause this fault.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Could be rear hub bolts over-tightened causing the bearing to be tight, hence causing binding and heat.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan