burnt rubber smell

We had this problem on 1999 Impreza and now have same problem on 2000 Forester.

Forester smells like burnt rubber from front end after a 20 mile drive. Everything appears OK under hood. Belts, hoses, wires, etc. all OK. I have checked for leaks on or near exhaust and come up empty. Had the same success at finding smell on the Impreza. I have seen others mention this on this forum, but never found the cause. Any ideas?

Thank you! DAW

Reply to
D&SW

Sometimes a split CV boot will splatter grease on hot exhaust components. Smells nasty.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Have you looked for oil leaks on the front of the engin?. Not sure what engine you have, but the ones in use in much of the '90s had a tendency to develop oil gasket leaks at not terribly high mileage. And although mine never splattered on the exhaust (that I could see), it definitely smelled like burning rubber.

Jim

Reply to
kaplan3jiim