Sticking accelerator

I have an auto 96 Subaru Legacy which has a problem. When the car is hot, i.e. having been driven for 30min or more, when I pull up to a stop the accelerator sticks and I can feel the car trying to pull away. Whilst this is happening, if I put the car in neutral it is reving at

1800rpm. To fix this all I have to do is tap the accelerator pedal and it returns to 800rpm. Now, I have sprayed the cable and springs on the assembly for the efi with WD-40 but this didn't help. I have also sprayed the origin of the cable near the pedal but this also hasn't helped. Apart from replacement, is there a way I can stop this happening. Thanks!
Reply to
Aussie Suby

Just a few generic suggestions: check the linkage movement at the pedal and throttle body, look for burrs, kinks or "anything else" that's preventing the return spring from doing it's thing.

If you have cruise control, check that cable too. Make sure the cc cable is "slacker" than the accelerator pedal cable, ie when throttle body is closed, the cc cable should be looser than the accelerator pedal cable.

A quick & dirty check for cc cable involvement would be to disconnect it at the throttle body end.

Reply to
CompUser