Strange happening with spedometer

When I started out on an errand I noticed the spedometer and odometers weren't working! So, I ran home, looked around for a possible reason, but couldn't see anything obvious. I had to make another trip, but this time the spedometer was working. Has anyone heard of similar behaviors, and if so, what the cause may be?

TIA.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rezsutek

Mike - I'm having the same issue - going to get my 1999 Subaru Outback checked tomorrow...Karen

Reply to
KNatz1

Please let us know what you learn. Thanks, Karen.

Reply to
Mike Rezsutek

Hey guys,

In late 2003 I found a really good deal on a 99 OBW Limited with low miles, and a little bit of body damage. Later that night I got on the freeway, and noticed that the speedo, and thus the odo, was not working. Long story short, I got a hold of the service records, and noticed that there were some major discrepancies in the mileage accumulations. When I alerted the dealer of the issue the finance manager freaked out, as he had signed the odometer disclosure statement, and they fixed it immediately. I wound up returning the car because of how everyone, except the finance manager, handled the situation.

Anyhow, turns out this was common in that year only. If I recall correctly, it was something like a $270 fix.

Reminds me of guy I worked with that traded in 3 year old Buick with

30,000 miles on odometer. After deal had been cut and signed, dealer commented that wear looked like higher milage and coworker told him it was 130,000 miles. Back in those days odometers did not go beyond 99,999. Dealer had to eat it. Frank
Reply to
Frank

The nearest dealer to me is now about 85 miles. You don't happen to remember what the fix was, or if it was a dealer-only type of repair, do you? I would really hate to spend a day going to a dealer if I could get it done locally by a reputable mechanic. TIA.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rezsutek

I'm not 100%, but I think it was some module where the speedo cable connected to the back of the gauge cluster. I took the car back to the dealer about five days later.

I'll check with my dealer to see if they still have the record.