Subaru Fiori

Hello all,

Don't know if anyone can help out with this technical question but worth a try.

The Subaru Fiori maybe called 'Rex' or 'Ace' in other countries, not sure. Anyway this one in Australia has the 758cc engine.

We have a 1991 Fiori, unbelievably great little trouble free car up until a few days ago. She just stopped, so we called the NRMA (mobile mechanics) and the guy said the fuel pump has packed it in. We have a service manual for it, so I had a look at the drawings and see that the pump gets it's power from what is called a 'Revolution Sensor' which in turn receives a signal from the coil. The 'Revolution Sensor' has a circuit board inside which means it is all quite complicated (computerised so to speak). Tested the power from the 'Revolution Sensor' and it gets 12 volts ok but no amperage? Anyway, to make a long story short, I tested the pump with a direct 12 volts and she works fine. So I tried to find a new or second hand 'Revolution Sensor'. In NSW there are none in existence. The dealerships say they are no longer in stock and the wreckers have scrapped all the bodies, whilst keeping only the 'quick selling' parts. The sensor box is mounted under the dash above the fuse box (about the size of a small pack of cigarettes).

So my question to you all I guess is, do you know if it's ok to run a permanent power supply from downstream of the ignition system to the pump, i.e., the pump would be running flat out whenever the ignition is on, without any variation in petrol supply from idle to maximum revs? It has a fuel return line to the tank so in principal it may work but what worries me, is that they went to so much trouble designing this 'Revolution Sensor' that I may be overlooking something.

Thanks in advance everyone for any help or advice,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

number 9

I don't know who you are "number 9" and I don't know what "The 2 posts above are virus crap!!!" is all about but I certainly hope it doesn't interrupt my chance of getting some valuable help off any of the knowledgeable people in this news group.

One thing I can ensure you and everyone else, is that this and my previous post has absolutely nothing to do with any virus. Wherever did you get this notion?

Could you please explain what this is about?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I think there is some misunderstandings here... I don't know who you are either, and frankly, I don't care %-) Before you get too exited. I was talking about the two posts above yours... My Avast indicated that there Viruses in those postings... So don't get all shook up; - relax, take a few deep breaths, and everything will be okay... That is of course, if you don't read the above mentioned posts...%-) Try it, tell us what happend :-)))

Sweet dreams, NUMBER 9. (Halloween is close, booo!!!)

Reply to
number 9

"number 9"

You obviously have a different News Reader than I do. I can't even see the posts you're referring too.

My problem is though, you linked your message to my post, you could have at least started a new message and said, "the 2 posts below" and left me right out of it.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

It is quite common to have a crank sensor to control the fuel, so that the fuel is only flowing when the engine is running. Doing a Google search on "crank sensor fuel pump" gives lots of information.

It may only be a problem if it an accident occurs or rollover and the pump keeps gas flowing after the engine stops.

The problem may be the sensor and not the control box.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Number 9,

Someone who refers to posts in usenet (which distributes articles asynchronously to a network of independent nntp servers around the globe with vastly different article propagation time) by "two posts above" and does so following up and quoting an article that's unrelated to the one you were speaking of anyway.... um... well, has no business being a condescending douche to anyone.

Also, you can't assume that the "virus crap" made it to everyone's nntp server because no-cem and other canceling activity may have removed them.

By my calculus, you owe Graham a couple apologies 1) for hijacking his thread and being an idiot, and 2) for giving him attitude when he rightfully busted your balls for 1.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thanks for your input Blair, appreciated. I had a look at a few of the Google sites you mention but I'm unsure whether this Fiori has a sensor tied in with described cranking as such. I will add that since my original post I have left the 'Revolution Sensor' intact but have cut into the power supply wire to the sensor and joined it into the power to the pump downstream of the sensor, in effect bypassing the sensor control. The car is running well but I am unsure of the consequences. I have also since learnt off list, that the 'Revolution Sensor' is now called a 'CFC Unit' in Australia and the Netherlands with inputs to a few other gadgets, called 'Slow cut-out valve' and 'Boost switch'. Gawd, fingers crossed.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Someone with common sense...thank you God and thank you Todd. I'm not religious but I had to say it.

I feel better now, you explained it all far better than I could have. Thanks again.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Seems to serve the same purpose as the crank sensor here, which is to determine if the engine is rotating. Amazing how much the English language can be twisted. I have spent many years translating Japanese/English and now German/English from working on machine tools.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

">

"um... well, has no business being a condescending douche to anyone."

But you do, councelor? :-)

Reply to
number 9

Knowing the norms of conduct in the medium and the group does have its privileges. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Yes, you are quite correct Blair. I think another issue clouded my mind but I can see now that a crank sensor is of vital importance under crash circumstances. No idea how I'm going to rig up a sensor yet but I'll make it a high priority.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Maybe the sensor was also used on North American spec cars, possibly with a different name?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Yeah, because Todd has cred here. You don't, and made a mistake. Apologize and move on. No big deal.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Yes, you are absolutely correct, Johnny! It is "No big deal"; - so get over it.

Oops, I did again; - I top posted... Oh boy, I hope Todd don't read this one %-)))

Reply to
number 9

I'm sure you're right Barry, different named car, different named parts but it's probably an unusual problem anyway, just to make things more difficult. I was talking with the 'Head mechanic/technician' here in NSW, Australia this morning and he said that they no longer have the manuals/diagrams of said model...hence they can no longer help...suggested I see an auto electrician and wished me good luck. I'll keep at it because as Blair pointed out, in the event of an accident/rollover we don't need the fuel pumping. The mind boggles at the 'explosive' consequences that could eventuate.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Too true! Seeing Oz is a rather big island, can you give a vague inidcation of what bit you're in? There's probably stuff all that'd help where I am at the moment, but I may have some ideas for a couple of other parts of the country, speshly in NSW! Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

Hi Hippo,

Looks like your down Shoalhaven way, or at least the South Coast somewhere. I'm west of Sydney, out near Penrith. I had my Subaru Liberty serviced at 'Subaru Kingswood' for 12 years and got to know the young mechanics fairly well but since then, they have relocated to Penrith (5 or so kilometres further away). It was one of these guys I was talking to this morning who informed that Subaru could no longer help with the Fiori. I traded in my '91 Liberty in 2003 but the wife's '91 Fiori we still have, she loves it...it's her mobile shopping cart...costs her nothing to run and can park it anywhere. Ah well, nothing lasts forever.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

"Graham" Oct 23, 2007 at 06:48 AM

Yep - got it in one- the byootiful Shoalhaven! If you haven't already tried them, give Riverside Spares a ring. Might also be worth ringing Northern Wreckers. If Les is there, tell him a pom from Granville suggested you talk to him. Never any promises with spares but both worth a try going on past experiences. Otherwise, there's occasionally one or two whole ones going for spares on ebay. Trouble is, most of them usually seem to be in Qld or the NT... Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo