subaru hybrid - manual transmission

Do you think the subaru turbo hybrid will come with a manual transmission or just automatic? If it can come with a manual any ideas on how it would work? Thanks for any responses.

Regards, Paul J

Reply to
Paul

Do any hybrids have a stick?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The Honda Insight had a manual.

Dont know too much about any other car though.

Paul J

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I think (just guessing) that it will have a fixed RPM engine driving a generator and an electric motor driving each wheel. There are some significant advantages to such a scheme, but the other automakers are so used to there being a drivetrain that they find it hard to think in any other terms.

No drivetrain = no transmission. No manual, no automatic.

Reply to
Guy Macon

The Toyota Prius has the best system. The gasoline engine and the electric motor/generator are connected through a differential with the output shaft. A computer controls the blending of these three power streams, so that a completely stepless automatic transmission is the result.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Not sure that is a good idea. What concerns me is the wide speed range required with high torque and speed matching between the wheels. both problems can be overcome but I wonder about the cost in dollars and efficiency. it is interesting that the prius uses a constant speed electric motor and continuously variable transmission.

;-)

Reply to
nothermark

No, in all actual hybrid the master engine is the fuel engine so transmission is needed. With today tecnology is hard to have a 100 KW electric motor and relative batteries so small to fit in a car. In a hybrid system there is fuel engine, optimized for low concumption and emission, integrated with and electric unit to supply the lack of torque, a complicated transmission is needed to integrate both engine

Reply to
S.C.