"Manual" mode Subaru Legacy "90"

What does the "Manual" mode do on an automatic transmission 1990 Subaru Legacy? There is no real functional description in the owner's manual. Is it supposed to approximate a manual shift transmission?

Reply to
KMcK

In message - "KMcK" writes: :>

:>What does the "Manual" mode do on an automatic transmission 1990 Subaru :>Legacy? There is no real functional description in the owner's manual. Is it :>supposed to approximate a manual shift transmission? :>

:>

I asked the same thing when I bought my '94 (FWD). The salesman told me it worked the same as a limited slip differential (Subaru told me how it really works - nothing like limited slip).

The theory behind Manual is that it's supposed to help on slippery (icey) surfaces by reducing wheel spin. I've noticed the wheels don't spin as much on wet roads when I use it. The wife says just take it easier on the gas :)

It only works when the Manual switch is activated and the gear shift is in "3" (in "D" the manual switch is ignored). When it's working, the transmission only uses 2nd & 3rd gears.

Hope this helps

Rob

Reply to
rob