Subaru performance problems: in-efficient automatic transmission?

I was reading edmunds.com review of 2007 Outback and saw this: "Unfortunately, the Outback's automatic transmissions still leave much to be desired, as they sap power by upshifting too early. Automatic-equipped XT Limited models fare a little better in this regard, as their SI-Drive system offers a driver-selectable "Sport Sharp" mode that quickens throttle response and delays upshifts." (see

). This reminds me of how my 2001 Forester automatic behaves when driving up-hill at highway speeds: the car starts to lose speed...I floor the gas pedal, engine RPM goes to almost 5000...but then within a few seconds RPM gets down to less than 3000. Does anybody know when/if Subaru will fix their automatic transmissions? I'll be buying a new car in 2 years or so...would like to get Subaru, but only if these issues are fixed by then.

Thanks, Boris

Reply to
boris

I have a '00 Impreza with an even less powerful 2.2l engine, also automatic tranny, that behaves similarly, but I keep flooring it utill I complete climbing the hill, or making the pass, or whatever. I don't let it rev past 5000 rpm much and it keeps churning nicely until I take my foot off the accelerator slightly, then it upshifts and goes down to

3000rpm, exactly like you describe.

I drive in a very mountainous area, and I think there is nothing wrong, the way the tranny works. Don't be afraid to rev the engine at 5000 rpm, for longer that a few seconds, keep accelerating as if you wanted to get it to 5500 rpm (I suspect you have a habit of flooring it then backing off a bit and the tranny upshifts and your rpms fall to 3000). Don't let it do that! If it is beyond your control then you maybe have a problem.

If you are afraid to keep going at 5000 rpm or slightly more for a minute or so, then I don't know what to tell you. I've been revving the engine at 5000 rpm for runs that lasted several good minutes over various steep long inclines. Frequently the result is that I am even very slightly accelerating as I go uphill!

This engine is sturdy, and revving it a bit does it no harm. I use synthetic oil in engine (changed at 3k miles) and synthetic in transmission (changed every 15k miles). the tranny also has an additional external cooler.

The car has 50k miles on it, and has been driven like this since new, I also frequently drive long distances at high speeds in very hot wheather, where I do around 3400 rpms for hours at a time (going Sacramento- L.A). The engine seems to handle this type of duty very well, so far. Though a run like this in 100 degree weather helped kill my rear wheel bearings once, or so I believe cause they failed at 25K miles soon after two similar trips.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

I forgot to add, I like to use premium gasoline or add some Marvel Mystrey Oil into the gas, as extra lubricant in the gasoline greatly helps smooth the engine, especially at high revs, also helps cools things a bit, I believe.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

There are two known existing fixes for your woe:

  1. a standard transmission that's been around since the dawn of automotive industry and is used probably in over 90% of the cars sold outside the US of A
  2. si-drive
Reply to
isquat

What I have heard is that the next standard auto for the 4 cylinder non turbo subarus will be a CVT unit so you may not like the proposed solution. I think that some CVTs are much cheaper to produce but if you look at Nissan forums their CVT has had significant problems and CVTs are replaceable (at $5-6,000) but not repairable. Personally I would like to see Subaru offer the new 6 cylinder engine transmission unit in the 2008 Tribeca as an option on the Outback and Forester but I don't think that will happen. Personally I will not buy a Subaru with a CVT until they have been out at least 5 years and have proven themselves reliable. But then I purchase and keep cars and don't lease. A 3 year lease might be a safe bet since you would turn the car over within the warrantee period.

Cheers Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

For what it's worth, Howard, Subaru used a form of CVT in some of their Justys years ago, which proved to be anything but reliable! Let's hope they gleaned valuable lessons from early 90's experience.

As it is, I rather like the way Subaru's automatic transmission operates. If they want to add a few more gears maybe, I wouldn't complain about that, but it's operation as is strikes me as just an automated version of a standard transmission - changing gears when I expect it to, and not when I don't. I'm not sure the sort of magic that folks expect from their transmission, but the domestic cars I've driven feel far too unpredictable to me. Besides, if I want a particular gear, I can always shift it manually. Maybe it's me, but that doesn't seem so hard to do. My brother's BMW on the other hand... that thing is the most obnoxious auto tranny I've felt, shifting for fuel economy at the expense of power!

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

I have been driving in 100+ degree weather forever. The effect on wheel bearings is negligible. Also, you change your fluids too often.

Reply to
David

Marvel Mystery Oil!!! HAHAHAHAHA

They still sell that shit?

Beaners used to buy that crap to run in their hooptie's to try to cut down on the smoke rolling out the tailpipe. For modern-day automobiles "Marvel Mystery Oil" is useless garbage, right up there with "STP"

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

IIRC FHI makes the CVT that is in the Murano!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I like beans, they're good for the digestive track.

As to Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas, as an upper cylinder lubricant, I think it cannot harm, definitely helps keep things like valves, exhaust valves, piston rings, free of carbon and other deposits, just like beans can help rid your intestines of remnants of old undigested meat and other junk that over the years deposits there :))))))))

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Never noticed any performance issues with my 04 and auto trans. Made it up and down mountains of VA and TN on cruise with NO trouble maintaining set speed. Vehicle was also fully loaded. Still got

28-29 MPG. No compla> I was reading edmunds.com review of 2007 Outback and saw this:
Reply to
bigjim

I use plus gasoline (89). I used to have '91 Integra auto. It had no problem going uphill at any speed....especially when put into 3rd sport mode, it would pass pretty much any other car (when going uphill)...it was way more agile than my 2001 Forester auto (in similar situation).

Boris

Reply to
boris

1991 Acura Integra, hmmm, a fine car with super high revving dual overhead cam, multiple valve engine, that simply cannot be compared to a Subaru Forester's boxer engine. It is just a different beast. One is great at producing low rpm torque, the other exels at high rpm power.

My friend had an Integra 1990, or 89, stick-shift. With four people inside it had great difficulty accelerating from a standstill. If it were equipped with AWD it would probably stall althogether. Very anemic at low rpm, but lively at high rpms. Subaru boxers are the other way around, and that's why they benefit a lot from having a turbo.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

The 6 is available in the high-end outbacks. I've got one, and have no complaints about the 5 speed automatic. At least it's got a sequential manual shift gate; holds gears well, stays in first from a stop. Not as quick or as much fun to drive as my WRX, or even the 2.5 RS I had before that, but still a better choice than the SUVs I've had (Cherokee Sport and Pathfinder SE). Quicker and more comfortable than either, holds as much cargo, and capable of going most places I'd choose to take the trucks (dirt roads, heavy snow, not quite the Rubicon trail)

Reply to
suburboturbo

Yes I realize the current 6/auto combo is OK. But. To get it or to get stability control I have to get leather, plastic wood inside, LL Bead advert logo on tailgate and embossed on the seats. What I was saying is I would like to get the 6/auto/stability control option on the regular Outback. I mean it is a Subaru after all not a Lexus. I don't think fellow campers or my dog are impressed by the mid grade leather and I know the parking valet will not be impressed by the plastic wood. The new 6 and transmission sounds like a winner. More power, same milage and burns 87 octane. Since the 07 Tribeca and 07 LL bean Outback used the same 6/trans why couldn't they put that combo in the O8 Outback rather than just in the Tribeca.

IMO the Tribeca is going to have a very hard time against the current competition whereas the Outback has little competition (except perhaps the

08 Mazda tribute). Hope the Outback does not go with CVT in next generation since I really like the car but would not purchase one with CVT until they had about 5 years of experience with it.
Reply to
Howard Nelson