Subaru's strange "ACC/ON" logic

This goes beyond the mystery switch on top of the steering wheel pod.

You have to have the key in the ON position to work the power windows, but the heated seats work in the ACC position.

I spent the last week doing contractor watch, mostly sitting in my '00 OBW and watching other people work. (personally it's more work than doing something).

I'll admit to listening to the radio.....

I caught the almost dead battery syndrome three times, by turning the key ON to roll the window down and forgetting it (which brings the damned Daytime Running Lamps on).

My aftermarket stereo would drop out, then the car would barely crank if at all. Thank Ghu that a 2-5 minute "sit" would get enough crank power to start it again.

After tattooing "Shut The F***ing Key OFF" on the back of my hand ;} I proceeded to check other draws and conditions. Sure enough, the heated seats are live in the ACC position.

Reply to
nobody

If you pull the handbrake up, do the lights go off? IIRC, they do.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Yeah it is pretty dumb. They should really have the windows on retained power, there is a modification to do that on a legacy that involves snipping a wire and connnecting it to the acc wire. Done it to mine, works great.

Reply to
MD

Can you post a link to the mod?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

In order to comply with European (maybe just English?) laws, the "mystery switch" on top of the steering column allows the parking lights to remain on when the ignition is in the off position - something that most Subarus wouldn't do otherwise because of the way the lights are wired. That's what a Subaru tech told me anyway...

Reply to
Brandon

Now there's one I'd love to see answered and surpasssed too! The top acc parking lamp switch has got to be the most least used item on my 01 OBW. Think I used it once when I was parked at a campground in pitch black NH forest at 1 am to read a map outside via the front white marker lamps.

Heated seats work in acc with motor off? Perhaps if subie has a nuclear powered battery option(grin)

Disconnecting / disabling the DRL's is relatively easy on Subaru. You can get info on how to disable them here:

---> Or just google "Disable DRL Subaru" for more methods

Don't have heated seats but seems that a quick review of the wiring diagram would reveal these (I guess) are operated via a relay to switch the heavy-DC current to power seat heater elements. Methinks that lifting a wire from the hot side of the relay coil from the always-on DC line to a switched one will do the trick here.

Reply to
James M

See my post above. :-)

Reply to
Brandon

and it doesn't ding or anything to warn you that you accidentally left on something that could run down your battery.

Reply to
Dave Botsch