1993 Chevy Astro ignition/ACC position? Stereo power?

I just bought a funky '93 Chevy Astro cargo van...(it was an okay deal and I need the room for my stuff.) The stereo only gets power if the ignition switch is in the full on position . On other cars I've owned...there is an 'ACC' position for accesories before the 'ON' position that allows you to run the radio without turning on the fan, A/C, etc..

I don't see any markings on the steering column or ignition that identify the position of the ignition. There is a position before what I would call the ON position that I assume is the ACC position...but no juice to the stereo from there.

I had the stereo replaced with a CD deck at a chain car stereo place and asked them to wire it so the stereo would power up in the ACC position....they said there is no ACC position for this vehicle...what I think is an ACC position is actually an OFF position and doesn't do anything. Before that, there's a position that says 'LOCK' where you can pull the key out.

Is this right? No ACC position? Is this true for all Chevy's? or are they just too lazy to run a new wire from the ignition to the stereo? If they are correct...I guess my only other option is to run a wire off the battery terminal directly to use the stereo while the engine is off.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Joe K.

Reply to
Joe Kimura

Try pushing the key in and turning the lock cyl backwards. Thats the normal chev ACC position.

Reply to
Scott M

Yup...tried that already....thanks....doesn't work...no ACC position if I turn counter-clockwise either....doesn't budge.

Joe K.

Reply to
Joe Kimura

Did you push in the key and the cyl and turn it back? Could be the mech/switch is worn out.

Reply to
Scott M

That's exactly how mine acted when the switch wore out. 45 minutes and $80.00 or so including parts at the dealership and all is well.

Reply to
Drumstick

ACC is backwards (Counter Clockwise) PERIOD. Push the key in, then the cylinder should go in. Turn backwards. If you can't, then there may be a lock switch to turn it backwards with. You need to hold that as you turn it backwards, my S10 has this. If this doesn't work, your switch is FUBARd.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

I'm pretty sure you have one. Turn the the switch counterclockwise and maybe press it in a little bit.

If the switch is well worn it may take some doing or require repairs. On my dad's Buick, the switch wouldn't go into ACC until I really horsed on it...and then it went back quickly with a loud noise. I don't know if anything was broken or not, but the switch works normally in all modes now.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

. If this doesn't work, your switch is FUBARd.

FUBARd it is. took it to the local dealer and they played with it. they quoted me $125 for a new cylinder lock and labor.

ouch. maybe later.

I'll see what the independent garages can do for me.

thanks to all for the advice.

Joe K.

Reply to
Joe Kimura

=============== The lock cyl on that old van should be readily available at any auto parts store for very cheap. You should be able to get it done for closer to $80. I dont know what the book time is on that cyl but it couldnt be more than an hour I bet.

Reply to
Scott M

I think the after market switches are just electronic. No wheel locking capabilities. Or maybe this is just some?

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ