HELP! 97 Explorer cranks but will not start

Hello all,

After driving home the other day, I backed into the drive as always and the next morning.....not start.

It will crank fine but will not fire. I've had no trouble up to this point with the vehicle but this has got me. I've changed the ignition coil pack but that still will not allow it to fire.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any general repair web sites would be nice if available.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Just a quick thought... Did you check to make sure your emergency fuel shut-off sensor has not tripped?

Good luck,

Steven

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

check your fuel pump relay.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
maskdman1 via CarKB.com

I can hear the fuel pump kick in and I've got fuel at the rail. I've got no spark that I can detect at the Ignition coil. I'm wondering what controls this. Are there other sensors that will not allow the ingition coil to fire?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I had an intermittant problem like this on my '94 Explorer. Every once in a while, especially if it had sat for a few days, it would crank but not start. I discoved that wiggling the fuses in the engine compartment would get it going. I pulled the fuses related to the engine and cleaned the contacts- they had some brownish crud on them. Reinstalled them and the problem hasn't occurred since.

May not fix your problem, but it's quick and free to give it a try...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

My '97 with the 4.0 OHC engine was doing the same thing. I cleaned the contacts for the connector on the crankcase position sensor (at the front of the engine, down at the bottom). I also had two weak cells in the battery so I replaced it. The condition has not reoccured. It seems odd to me that if there was enough power to crank the engine that there would also be enough to power the ignition coil but we are talking about computers here.

Reply to
Ulysses