Switching to Front Wheel drive with the fuse?

I have a 1995 Legacy Wagon AWD w/ 130,000 miles. The center differencial has been acting up during slower turning causing the wheels to bite and make steering difficult. I know this would probably be a major cost to repair and I don't want to put more $ in to this car. So I dissengaged the AWD by putting the fuse in the spot under the hood and my car drives like anyother front wheel drive vehicle. Am I destroying my car or is this really no big deal except for the loss of the AWD advantages. BTW-I live in South Eastern VA and snow really isn't a problem so the AWD really wasn't a big deal anyway.

Reply to
paul c

I have a 98 legacy that had the same problem at about 110k and used the fuse to make it a front wheel drive as well. I've put another 20k on the vehicle since then and haven't had a problem yet.

Others in the group will likely say it shouldn't be done though.

The vehicle is now my second vehicle, I'm planning to run i as long as I can to see how many more miles I can get in FWD.

Mike

Reply to
Mikes002

Just had to do it tonight myself. Anyway, I don't see any harm in it, at least for short trips. And the manual makes no mention of long term usage. I've got a '95 Legacy as well.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I tried this fuse recently in my '95 Legacy wagon and promptly took it back out because perfectly normal starts on dry tarseal were consistently spinning the front wheels. Damn that 2.5 has some torque down low!

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

Reply to
Edward Hayes

It was there on the '99. Try it. You'll spin the fronts for sure. :) I tried scaling my driveway this morning with a 16" Forester spare as the passenger side front wheel. (Long story, see my "two flat tires" post.) Anyway, I normally give it some gas as the driveway is really steep and covered in loose gravel. This doesn't usually result in any wheelspin, although sometimes the backs will spit some gravel. Not today. As I was fuse disabled into FWD, I got a full blown rooster tail of gravel and dirt from the 15" Outback wheel. Guess I'd better go fill that hole in now.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker