All wheel drive vs. front wheel drive SUV's

what is the safety advantage of AWD vs. front wheel drive SUV's? All I know is that AWD's don't get stuck in the mud as easily. Any other good
points?

When comparing AWD vs. FWD:
An AWD vehicle will get better traction and handle better in the rain, snow, and other slippery surfaces like leaf-covered streets. In a climate like CA where it doesn't rain all summer, the first few rains of the season make the oils rise off of the road surface, making them very slippery. An AWD vehicle will also be slightly more stable in conditions where hydroplaning occurs.
On the negative side, the AWD hardware weighs more and has more drag on the drivetrain so it will get poorer fuel economy, and there are 2 extra differentials to maintain.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

It's nice to have, but not that necessary. Winter tires are best for new dry snow, something we seldom have on Canada's urban and main highways. With salting slush is the norm. So IMO under these conditions All season tires are best. ABS brakes are very important, should be a legal requirement on new cars.
What is more important is common sense and a feel for driving on very slippery roads. Although I've driven all my life in Canadian snowy conditions, the 40 yrs going to the western Canadian ski hills in all conditions, I still practice my winter driving driving skills with the first snow each season, including always driving slower than the slip point. This has meant I get there before many AWD, 4WD, etc. vehicles which often are in the ditch on their roofs.
Unfortunately recent vehicle design is often not desirable on snowy roads, this includes excessively low profile tires which float on the snow at speed.

No, not at all. Winter tires are best for winter--they are made of different compounds, the combination of which is dedicated to the rigors of cold temperatures.
Summer tires are made of different compounds, the combination of which is dedicated to performance in summer temperatures and lack of snow and ice.
All-season tires are a compromise, although getting better all the time.
Winter tires aren't just a matter of the tread pattern.

You may have that opinion, but you'd be wrong.
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:49:05 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Seems clearly that you hold a minority opinion here!
Jay Somerset wrote:

Oh, does it "clearly" seem that way? On ice and snow, Winter tires are better than all-seasons, obviously.

Well, it's true that people are stupid.
Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Of course, the laws of physics don't care about majority opinion.
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:32:24 -0500, Jay Somerset

while it might be a minority opinion, it is not a wrong opinion, I have AWD and I drive a mb which I put on winter/snow tires on, I feel safer in the MB with snows on than I do in my awd cars. I have spun out in awd cars, I've never spun out in the mb with the snows on

The original statement, to which I took exception, was that snow tires on FWD was superior to AWD with all-seasons.
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:13:07 -0500, Jay Somerset

as long as he has the snow tires on all 4 wheels snow tires are always better than all seasons
jdoe wrote:

I used to have a Prelude with Nokian snows, and it was incredible in the snow.

Try the Nokian WR all season passenger tire. It's the only one with the snowflake designator for winter driving--and I have to say, it's an amazing all-season tire. Quiet in the summer and no doubt a Nokian tire with the snowflake come winter storms, from snow to slush.

You take exception to it out of your ignorance of the facts.
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:28:39 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

I guess there is little point debating anything with you. Into my killfile you now go -- feel free to do likewise. :-)

a) I said you were ignorant of the facts, which is true.
b) Anyone who feels a compelling need to declare his killfile entry to the world, has problems.

Kill files are for losers who can't stand the truth.

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:55:17 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

R.I.P.
Jay Somerset wrote:

Rant In Private?
AWD vehicles are driven by all four tires, so they are inherently more stable and predictable in adverse conditions. Having said that, there is not a car on the road that can overcome sheer stupidity.

False.
A two wheel drive car with snow tires (or tires otherwise appropriate for conditions) will, on the road, always be more capable than an all wheel drive vehicle with all-season or otherwise inappropriate tires.