Reply to
y_p_w

For torx bolts, this is the best way to get the right one.

#1, get some silly putty or play-doh (or other clay-like material)

#2, push a blob of it into the torx bolt to make an impression of the bolt

#3, go to an auto parts or tool store & buy the torx bit that is the same size as your impression & fits your standard 3/8" ratchet.

#4, start wrenching!

Done!

-T

Reply to
TomTom

The sets I've seen stop at T60.

Reply to
y_p_w

However - if it's a T70 (as I hear the front diff plug on 2004 automatics is) then I haven't seen a tool shop, hardware store, or auto parts store that carries this bit. I've only seen two US-based internet tool stores that have this part, and one has it in a 100+ piece set that I don't need. The others I've seen are based in England or New Zealand.

I've tried Sears, Home Depot, parts stores, tool stores, and tracked down a Snap-On Tool truck. They don't even have a T70 socket in their catalog. I'm thinking it's only going to be a matter a time before I can find this part in my local Sears for $10, but I can't find it now.

Reply to
y_p_w

They are so cheap, buy a set of all the sizes for goodness sakes ?

Reply to
No Way

The T70 is hard to find - I picked up a set of torx stuff on eBay a while back which goes through T70 for internal and E20 for external torx - they are hard to find individually - if you search on google, there are a bunch of vendors which have them, usually as part of a set - I found one for $30 or so while looking around - lots of UK vendors - maybe one of them will ship?

Reply to
David & Caroline

The one I found was $21.95, and shipping started at $6.95. I'm thinking maybe I can find other tools I need/want and have them shipped in the same order.

Reply to
y_p_w

i don't see any torx heads on my car with the 5mt??

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

This seems to be something Subaru sprung on unsuspecting owners of

2004 model year cars. I hear it's for the front diff plug on automatics, and I know it's on the manual tranny drain bolt for my 2004 WRX. I posted this picture in another thread:

I just got a response from Lisle Corp about whether they had one or were planning on making one:

"We were not aware that T70 torx fasteners were being used. At this time we have no plans to make a T70 torx bit socket. Thanks you for contacting Lisle Corporation.

Sincerely, Lisle Corporation"

I dug around, and it seems that some British auto makers have used the T70. T80, T90, and T100 Torx bits are also available in England. I think I'll just get that one I found - and maybe a clicker-type torque wrench on top of that to justify the shipping costs.

Reply to
y_p_w

You won't need the torque wrench, nobody know the value for the drain plug.

Reply to
Paul Pedersen

I thought I saw a value on a thread in Scoobymods for the 2002. Should be the same value I'd think.

However - I want a clicker torque wrench anyways. :-)

Reply to
y_p_w

Ok - it said 32.5 ft-lbs or 44 N-m. I really don't think they changed anything except the bolt head from a 6-pt to Torx.

Reply to
y_p_w

wow, that sucks.

if the threads/dimentions are the same then go to the dealer and buy a replacement with a "normal" head.

see also:

hope it works out for you.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

found a few more links of interest:

?s=&threadid=483189
hth ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Thanks. I'll check it out later.

Still - I'd have to find someone with a T70 socket (a dealer service dept?). I was in to get an armrest extension installed this morning, and noticed my dealer charged a whopping $130 for transmission service (although it could be the auto). A new 6-pt magnetic drain bolt is probably $10-20. I think in the long run, it might just be a better idea to get the Torx socket (and not lose it).

I've actually got 4 quarts of Redline 75W90NS sitting in my garage. I figure the first oil change at 3K miles is as good a time as any to switch over.

Reply to
y_p_w

Part no. is 32103AA012 and it lists for $10.57

I have no idea if the threads are the same or not, though. I would consider asking the dealer about the t70 bit, too - it's probably down as a subaru special tool or something like that - maybe it's not too expensive...

Reply to
David & Caroline

Were you able to get the socket? Did it work out okay?

ricardox

Not yet. I was thinking of doing it at 3K miles, and I'm about halfway there. Maybe I'll order it this week.

Reply to
y_p_w