Torx T70 Availability

Does anyone know where I can buy a Torx T70 socket that I can use with either a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet? All the stores I've visited in Southern California stop at T60. It's used to drain the front differential (for auto boxes) and the 5-speed manuals for most new Subarus. Thanks!

Reply to
ricardox

No Way

Any chance to obtain it locally? Or is the Internet the way to go...I've seen T-60 sockets go for $6 at Pep Boys and AutoZone, maybe $7. T-70's priced around $25, $30 shipped to the door seems kinda steep, but if that's because they are so hard to find, I guess there's no way around it. Anyone have success in obtaining one of these suckers? Thanks.

Reply to
ricardox

eBay.

I bought a set of torx bits (external from T10 thru T70 and internal thru E20) for $20 or so - it was sold as a set of security bits (the torx are actually pin-in-torx)

Reply to
David & Caroline

I don't know if you saw it, but I contacted Lisle Tool (sold in many parts stores) to find out if they were going to make a T70. The answer was A) We didn't know anyone used this, and B) We don't plan on making one. They stop at T60.

Reply to
y_p_w

I just broke down and ordered a T70 socket for 1/2" drive from Toolsource.com ($21.95). The 3/4" drive version is almost $40. Flat rate shipping was $7.95 for under $100 (over $100 is free), so I ordered a clicker-type torque wrench for $28.95 (I always wanted one, but couldn't find any for less than $60).

The socket is made by the German tool company Stahlwille (pronouced "stall-willy").

Reply to
y_p_w

I saw that Torx bits (that fit in a special socket) can be inexpensive. I thought I saw some at an internet retailer for between $3-4 each up to T60.

I went to a local Orchard Supply Hardware yesterday. They're a California based store owned by Sears, so they sell Craftsmen tools. The biggest Torx socket they had was a Craftsman T50 for 3/8", or a Vermont American T60 (about $8).

The T70 I ordered is on back-order, and it's supposedly not shipping until about the 23rd.

Reply to
y_p_w