2004 Impreza 5MT drain plug torque ?

Does anyone know what the torque value is for the transmission oil drain plug on a Canadian Impreza RS ?

The 2004 apparently has a new plug, a huge magnetic plug that has a Torx T-70 female head (cost me 70+$CDN for a 16mm T-70 hex bit since all the cheap tool stores stop at T-60).

The 2004 manual I downloaded makes no mention of this plug (it shows a regular hex bolt head that I believe used to be the same size as the engine oil drain plug) and the nearby dealer didn't know that the plug had changed either since he told me that the oil and the transmission were the same and he sold me a gasket the same size as the oil plug.

The 2004 transmission plug is a lot bigger than the oil plug and uses a solid copper? washer that is maybe a bit under 1/8" thick, that I had to re-use (which may be as intended given the size of the washer). Manual says to replace it.

I torqued it to 51 ft-lbs ("Periodic Maintenance Services" manual says 51.6, "Transmission/5MT" manual says 50.6) but it seemed kind of light for such a big plug. It was certainly torqued more than that from the factory.

Anybody know the proper value ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Pedersen