Thumping sound from my 98 forester

Well here is all the background and I hope to God one of you may be able to help diagnose:

Well I set off to move from Oregon to Texas for school, I filled my car with an tremendous amount of odds and ends and drove off. About 1,500 miles into the trip the thumping sound appeared. For the last 500 or so miles the car has made a distinct thumping sound. It appears the sound occurs most frequently when accelerating from a stop and seems to dissappear when reaching full speed. This sound doesnt seem to occur when accelerating from a stop in reverse though? The sound appears to be comming from the right rear wheel region. Trying to diagnose the problem myself I have noticed that the sound is much louder inside the car than when standing next to the car while someone else drives it..although it is still audible that way too. Please any ideas?

Reply to
JonathanMichaelCosgrove

Check the tire for ply separation/out of round.

Reply to
The Other Dave

Reply to
JonathanMichaelCosgrove

I had a similar issue and found through various Forester news groups that the problem could be the wheel bearings (common problem with 98-00 Foresters). I had the Subaru dealer replace them and this fixed the problem. Just my experience but a place to start...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
golfermatt