Timing belt 1 day later

I got the crank bolt loose and proceeded to change the belt. It was all straight forward and I took care in each and every step. I noticed that the left [passenger] side wheel moved a little as I was positioning the belt and counting the teeth. I moved it back and used a smallish c-clamp to keep it from moving as I completed the belt installation. When I had it on with all the beltmarks lined up I ran it through one complete cycle [by hand] to take any slop out of the belt and kind of just seat everything. I put on the center timing cover and then tried to fire it up to hear my success. Well, I didn't have any. It doesn't even sound like it wants to fire. Where did I go wrong and what can I do from here. It's a '98 Impreza 2.2L 5 speed. Thanks

Reply to
mbjj

Did you by any chance break off one of those 'lugs' on the crank pulley? If one is broken off it won't start - they are used by the crank angle sensor for firing sequence (and ,with the cam sensor, for RPM and other purposes).

Also, the torque listed in some books for some Subaru crank pulley bolts is low - has caused significan problems after a few hundre/thousand miles. maybe someoine here can double check for you. What torque setting did you use?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

mbjj wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm going to go back out and check it here in a little bit. I wanted to see if I had any responses first. I was extremely careful working in and around the belt, pullys and gears. I did notice when I slipped the belt off that the center gear [cam] slid out a little with the belt. Not enough to come off but enough to get my attention and I slid it back and held it in place when I took the belt off. I don't think I broke any lugs and as far as I could tell nothing went wrong. Except for the passenger side wheel moving a little. As far as torqing the bolt. I did not use a torque wrench. I wanted to see if it would fire before I finalized everything. I put the bolt in finger tight and used my socket to "snug it up" firmly but no so tight that I would have to jump through the hoops of getting it back off again. My question now is: The fact that I tried to start it and it wouldn't fire [I didn't over start it 3 or 4 times maybe 2 times]. If the left wheel moved a little, is that motor zero tolerance and did I unknowingly damage any valves during the start process? I don't thing the wheel moved enough to get the whole thing out of whack but the thought did cross my mind.

mjacobs

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
mbjj

First, here are two sources of info with pictures to help you check if you did it right.

1)
go to «motor manazine», click on «articles and features», «back issues». The info you want is inside july and august 2001 issues. In both cases, look for «Foreign Service, Dan Marrucci» 2) The other is
That taken car off, it could be a number of things. (1) Not using the proper marks on the pulleys to line up the belt/pulleys/mark on the case. The info you'll find at the adresses above will help you check that. (2) You probably had to remove the crank and cam sensors. Did you put them back and reconnect them? (3) You might have interverted the left and right cam pulleys. They are not interchangeable. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Gilles, Montreal.
Reply to
Gilles Gour

Well, I went to motor.com and read the articles. There were no pictures. So I tried the website using windows and still no pix. Here is what I found when I re-examined the belt. The sensors are no issue. I did not have to take them off to get the belt free. I did, though, retrace my steps and tried to reproduce the belt/sprocket alignment again. This time I found out that 2 of the 3 sprockets line up. Center/right or center/left. None matched up like they did when I installed the belt originally. My question now is: How do I get them to line up again? Each sprocket has a benchmark with a paint dot. The left and right sprockets each have an arrow along with an allignment mark. But they aren't in line with each other. According to what I have read, I was to allign the benchmarks and paint dots with the marks on the motor. Which I did, I thought. I lined up the painted lines on the belt [ I thought] according to the diagram in my Haynes manual. Now when I tried to reproduce that [belt marks in proper sequence], the left [passenger] side sprocket mark is pointing to 9 0'clock while the others line up correctly. What is my next step? Do I loosen the bolt and just allign the sprocket? Do I take the belt back off and allign the sprocket that way? What are the arrows all about on the left and right sprockets? Should I use them to allign the beltt? This is my first attempt at this so any help would be grateful.

Reply to
mbjj

start from scratch and ignor all arrows

Reply to
RARER2

Check your email. I sent you a PDF file that should help

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes. evidently the arrows are only for TDC positioning of the cams for valve work - not used for TB installation. And it is normal for the marks on the belt to NOT line up after the engine has been rotated.

I wish someone would confirm the correct torque value for your pulley though. I have read there are incorrect published numbers that have ruined crankshafts. beware

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Like someone else wrote, it's normal for the marks not to align once the belt has been mooved at least one turn (I found out the hard way). You'll have to remove the belt and try once more. ON the Motor Magazine's site you have to click on the PDF (Acrobat) version to get the pics with the text. The EndWrench adress I posted leads you directly to a PDF file. If that did'nt work it's because you dont have the PDF reader that's needed to have access to these files. It's free. Make a search using «Acrobat reader» and you'll find it. Just a fast download. I read someone is sending you a PDF file. You'll also need this reader to have access to it. Good luck.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:34:00 -0400, Gilles Gour wrote: .............................. If that did'nt work it's because you

I have the latest Acrobat reader and it's a 13.4 megabyte download...pretty substantiol if you don't have broadband...

Reply to
null_pointer