Timing Belt

.
Reply to
bigjimpack

Forgot to mention the $$ the manuf. gets selling tensioners, idlers, covers (rusted screws dislodge nut inserts from cover) and of course the labor $$ the dealers get.

The group that loves tim> Chains are far better. Even with all the parts the failure rate is so

Reply to
AS

You probably couldn't hear it over the pushrods.

What rpm range did the 351W do most of it's operation at?

I've never had a chain fail, but I've had them get worn sloppy, as well as had a tensioner fail. The broken tensioner let the chain slip all kinds of teeth.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I had a '74 Ford pickup with a 302W that had so much timing chain stretch at 20K miles that it was slapping the cover. It sounded like a rod knock it was so bad.

Reply to
nobody >

Its also quieter and allows for lightweight components

Reply to
JD

Then you can shell it out up front for the more expensive engine because of heavier components and the chain; nothing is free.

Reply to
JD

And if they used chains with the heavier parts, extra lubrication and cost of the chain, the car would probably cost an extra... $500-$1000. Nothing is free.

Reply to
JD

How would a chain make it more expensive? The Suzuki SX4 states timing chain on the sticker and a loaded AWD version is Then you can shell it out up front for the more expensive engine because o= f

Reply to
bigjimpack

The chain is only one of the heavier components. More metal in the components makes them more expensive. Add up all the markups and the addition of the parts and you'll end up paying the same with no additional benefit. Nothing is free; nothing. You pay for it one way or the other. One is visible, the other is not. Your choice.

Reply to
JD

I always thought it was precision.

Look at printer and copier mechanisms, precision industrial robots, etc...

They use toothed belts in place of chains.

Chains are sloppy.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

It could very well be. I'm sure you're right. However, my point is that it isn't just a big maintenance rip-off; there is a trade-off somewhere and you will pay for that trade-off one way or another.

Reply to
JD

I agree.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Reply to
bigjimpack

rip off? $300 is is tiny % of costs associated with hitting 100K miles mark: $600 - oil changes $1000 - tires $15000 - gas

A.

Reply to
alf

I agree too. In my opinion, a timing chain cover leaks more often and costs a lot more to repair. Some belts are a PITA and others are easy. I've seen timing chain tensioners in Nissans fail, and with a chain the manufactures always seem to have interference heads, so as well as the head damage, you have metal and plastic in the oil. The engineers do many things we wonder about, but designing an engine around "getting more maintenance" doesn't seem to be one of them. When I chose my wife's car, belt or not was not even a choice. I wanted a 4 cyl over a 6. Repairs are cheaper when you can get your hand into the engine. It was going to be a camery and the 2.2 was a great engine. Non interference, easy belt to change, but the Toyotas have changed to the 2,4 with a chain. Also is the new VVIT, where the timing gear on a cam can vary for emissions/performance. No EGR system, and those can be a PITA. But some other cars have had some issues with cam timing, so give up the reliable belt to a unproven chain. I had to rely on the Toyota name, and it's been a good car. Wouldn't care if it had a belt. We could take this same argument and look at belt/chain/shaft drive on motorcycles. Lots of trade off for each one

Anyway, my 2 cents,

Reply to
StephenW

I was curious to reasons why engeneers wouls use one over the other and found this. From

There are many more advantages to a belt-drive system than ease of use. A belt drive can increase power over a timing chain through less frictional loss, more precise timing, smoother valvetrain motion and eliminating windage caused by the timing chain and gears running in oil. A belt drive also isolates the crankshaft's torsional vibrations from the camshaft better than a chain (and certainly better than gear drives, which can amplify crank harmonics). Think of it as a second harmonic damper for the rotating assembly. And with all that engine builders are doing to stabilize cylinder-to-cylinder camshaft timing, such as larger-diameter cams, doesn't it make sense to do what you can to precisely phase the camshaft to the crankshaft?

Reply to
StephenW

Reply to
bigjimpack

Next vehicle will likely be an Xterra or Wrangler. Both have chains so I wont have to shell out the $500 to fix it. One has a LIFETIME powertrain warranty so even if the chain goes at 400k miles it's free. No I dont buy "cheap" vehicles thank you. I buy reasonable vehicles that provide long service. The premium gas thing is a complete scam and even if I bought a vehicle that "required" it (not likely) I'd use regular gas and have NO problems.

9:42=A0am, "JD" wrote:
Reply to
bigjimpack

Well, let's see here; The timing chain equipped H6 3.0 Soob engines (to my knowledge)all recommend premium fuel. The 4 cyl Soob engines ALL have timing belts.

So....I guess you have no reason to post to this group anymore.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan