timing belt

mfg recommendation ia change at 105,000. anyone had breakage prior to that? is up to 5,000 or 10,000 over very risky?

Reply to
frank

The scheduled changes are somewhat conservative. Theoretically, another 5 or

10 K won't make much difference, but: *The Fine Manual also has a specification for age (so many years). If you are under that, your odds are pretty good. If you are over, don't put it off. *It is very easy to put it out of your mind. Don't let that happen if you elect to stretch the interval. It's like putting off homework in school... the deadline bears down harder, and you don't really know when the deadline is on the belt until it's too late! Choose a time to do it (like when a tax refund has arrived) and make it stick.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You didn't say whether you have a 2.2 or a 2.5 engine.

The danger is when you have a 2.5 eng>mfg recommendation ia change at 105,000. anyone had breakage prior to that?

Reply to
X--Eliminator

All 2.2s? When did the dohc become sohc? Was either interference?

Reply to
John Rethorst

According to

question I was told ALL 2.5L engines are interference engines.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

According to

question I was told ALL 2.5L engines are interference engines.

How about the 2.2 liter engines?

Reply to
John Rethorst

it is a 2.5. i understand the dangers, that is why i wanted to know what margin i could have.

Reply to
frank

I suspect that the engineered safety margin is ~100% or 200,000 miles. However; number of belt accelerations, tempeture, oil, water or grease contamination will lower the belt life considerably.

Reply to
Edward Hayes