Once again: tire chains on Subarus

I have Outback '05 2.5i LX. Here is the official response from Subaru regarding chains

Dear Mr. ...:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Website.

You cannot use standard tire chains on your Outback Wagon because of the lack of clearance in the wheel wells. I always recommend that owners contact the State Police to discuss the mandatory use of tire chains. The State Police enforce tire chain usage and should be able to provide some guidelines for their required use.

If you use the tire chains detailed below, you would need to install them on the front wheels only. As also detailed below, we do not endorse this product, but have not heard any complaints in the past from owners who have used them.

We have been made aware of a tire chain (traction device) company's claim that its devices are suitable for the Subaru Outback and Subaru GT models. The company is:

Security Chain Company (SCC)

A Division of Burns Brothers, Inc.

Portland, OR

The company's Internet address is: scc-chain.com. This Internet site gives local retail sources for the products. The model recommended by SCC for Subaru is SHUR GRIP Z. There are different sizes based on tire size.

SUBARU OF AMERICA cannot endorse these or any other traction devices. However, we can inform any owners who request information on traction devices of this company's claim that its products are available and suitable for Subaru vehicles. Customers must take the initiative and responsibility for securing the products and satisfying themselves that it is safe to use them on their vehicles.

I hope that this information is helpful in your decision-making.

Best wishes!

Kelly

Subaru of America, Inc.

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

Hi,

Can any tire chains be used on this car?

If not, can Spider type devices be used instead?

thanks

''

Reply to
LB

I've never had the need to use tire chains on my 01 Outback.

I am using Goodyear Aquatreads (the same brandname type used by the local Police on their Ford Crown Vic's) and I've never got stuck in the snow or ice in winter.

I would also look at the Goodyear Assurance tire which is also a very good tire.

Collin

If 4 good snow tires dont get you through Then all traffic will be totally stopped anyway and only an off road military tank would get you around

Reply to
professional

In Australia it's law to carry snow chains to ski resorts during the season, and fit where directed... whether you're AWD/4WD or not!

Generally AWDs won't have to fit them, but authorities are tighter now, making many 'recreational AWD' cars fit chains and only off road 4WDs go through.

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply) Video & Gaming:

Gadgets