Tires4 '05 5M Outback Sport?

We're taking delivery of the car soon and I'd rather not use up the original tires before enjoying the benefits of available alternative tires.

While we are getting the short throw shift option for sportier driving, I don't want to match that with the most expensive sports tires, as the care will be driven in a very responsible manner -- most of the time.

It's the wife's car, and I'm actually considering two sets of tires (winter / summer) because we do get some significant snows here, and if I go that route, one set of tires need not accomplish everything. I'll still need "fallback" recommendations for a single set if things get too spendy, however.

The car will be driven 99.99% on paved roads, and 90+% of that will be urban driving where the roads are often in fair to poor condition. I'd like the car to handle as well as the original issue tires, with the replacement tires providing a better quality ride and / or less road noise for highway trips.

I'm considering studded snows because they've worked great for me on the van and I've seen them mentioned here as well.

Kumho is often mentioned as a good replacement tire here.

-- CL.

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing / Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

We are driving Mastercraft Avengers on the '99 Legacy OBW year round, but I also drive Mastercraft Glacier Grip snows on my '98 Audi A4 Quattro in the winter, and these are wonderful tires. Don't bother with studs, a waste of money and useless after the first winter. The Avengers cost $388 mounted and balanced, the Glacier Grips $352 for same, in sets of four. Our winter driving conditions are similar to yours.

Reply to
KLS

Assuming you'll be driving in RI and vicinity, and not needing max performance tires, an all-season tire thats been receiveing high praise is the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. They're around $105/ea for a 205/55-16.

If you go the 2 sets route, a tire to consider may be the Avon M500. They run about $80 in 16" and $100 in 17".

Though neither is a grand touring tire, they may be quiet enough while giving you good dry & wet traction.

Check out tirerack.com. Even if you dont plan on buying online, its a good site to check prices and get local shops to pricematch.

Reply to
Dai

I'll preface this by saying I've got an OB wagon, not an OB Sport. I'm in South Coast New South Wales, Australia. Lots of hills, bends and rain and the occasional rather quick (!) foul weather trip. No need for snows or studs though.

Used mostly mid to upper range Yokohama, Pirelli & Michelin on previous Liberty (your Legacy) wagon, 3 Saabs and various others. Hate Geolanders - too squishy. When I bought the OB it had 30% worn Federal Formozas & I expected to be throwing them away and replacing them pretty fast. I've since fitted another set because the ride handling compromise (running

36psi all round) is way better than the price suggests.

Suck it and see I say! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

KLS wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've been driving studs for years and could never call them a waste of money given the number of times they've saved my behind.

Given the higher price for the Kumho Ecsta MX, I'm now leaning towards the HP4 716 based on price and the TireRack reviews as an option for all season tires. The ASX are only $10 more, the ratings seem to be pretty close to the HP4 716.

I've seen a number of mentions favoring Kumho studdeds for demanding winter driving. I'd still love to hear from someone that has tried the GreenDiamond tires though.

-- CL.

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing / Shipping | | 14 Cooke St | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | | Pawtucket RI 02860 | 401/728-1987 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter