'06 Accord EX vs '07 Camry LE: Power, Safety & Price

Because of my recent enhanced upderstanding of the safety features listed below, and how my '05 Accord LX doesn't have them ...

Traction Control Stability Control Emergency Braking Assistance Electronic Brakeforce Distribution

(newer Honda LXs have ...) Rear disks DRL

I decided to take a hard look at the Camry LE, versus what I'd have to buy from Honda to get the features above. I already knew I couldn't get the features in any LX / Special Edition / Special Value models with a stick, and because I like a manual transmission, I'd have to go up to the the EX with V6 and 6M.

Aside from power and handling, the Accord EX and Camry LE are very different in character because of differences between the two in handling, economy, convenience, and comfort, but controlling for as many factors as possible, the Camry i4/5M LE looks like a heck of a value.

Beginning in 2007, Toyota includes so many of these features standard for the Camry that the single "VS" (vehicle stability / traction) option for $650 gets you all the safety features above.

That means if you can live with an i4/5M versus a V6/6M, your MSRP savings for this level of safety is: $27,850 V6/6M Honda EX

-20,680 i4/5M Camry (with VS option) ------ $ 7,170 or, 34.7 percent less for the Camry LE.

And if you really have to have the extra power of the V6/6A, the Camry still wins as the 3.5L produces HP/Torque comparisons of:

268HP/248FT-LB, versus 244HP/211FT-LB for the Accord EX V6/6M

And better fuel economy, and at MSRP of $24,270 with the VS option group included, is still $3,580 less than the EX Accord.

But this is a digression, since you can't get the V6 Camry with a stick, (which I want), and don't want the extra horses if it means giving up up the stick. (If you like automatics, this could an even sweeter deal for you ...)

Focusing on our original comparison, and limiting ourselves to how the cars are different ...

Honda EX V6/6M

More power, sportier handling Alloys Sunroof Remote anti-theft Leather seats & trim for doors, shifter, steering Heated seats & mirrors Folding rear bench w/ pass-thru Remote window operation Universal remote transmitter (garage/alarm) Dual climate control Illuminated vanity mirrors Floor mats

EPA Mileage / Range, City/Hwy w/17.1 gallon tank

21 / 30 -- 359/513

and on the other side ....

Camrey i4/5M LE

Better fuel economy Smoother ride Quieter cabin

3.5 foot smaller turning circle Rear seatbelt pretensioners Tire Pressure Monitoring Split folding rear bench Rear center armrest storage Speed sensitive volume Aux mp3 audio input 15 vs 14 cu/ft luggage Dusk sensing headlamps

EPA Mileage / Range, City/Hwy

24 / 34 EPA 444/629 Range with 18.5 gallon tank Average of 100 miles greater range!

------------

So the Accord is your pick if money doesn't matter, and luxury, sporty handling an power are tops, and,

If $7,170 is a chunk of change for you, and, A smoother, quieter ride is important, and, Fuel economy and range matter, and, You can live with a butt-ugly grille,

The Camry LE looks like a winner.

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

For about $2K more than an I4 Camry you can get the Camry Hybrid that should average something like 35 mpg. It has a much smaller trunk but more HP than the I4 Camry. I'm pretty sure the Camry Hybrid stacks up well in your comparison.

We have one vehicle that is now used almost exclusively for short trips in town. A Toyota Hybrid could be a practical choice if we wanted that size car. But we're also looking at the new Civic. Not that much smaller, great mpg but perhaps $10K less expensive than the Camry Hybrid in another year or so. However, I worry about the short trips in town and what that might do to a new engine, especially in winter.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

The purchase of a hybrid has been criticized of late as offering a false economy. CR wrote that you almost can't drive enough miles for it to make ($$) sense, especially compared to the more parsimonious gasoline engine cars. But if it gives you a nice big environmental "warm and fuzzy", I guess that's something ... unless you start looking at the energy required to manufacture and recycle batteries, etc.

I guess I would look at a Prius if I were going that route.

WAY smaller ...

Except for the biggie safety thing: You can't purchase vehicle stability control w/traction control even as an option on the Hybrid.

It's also hundreds of pounds heavier than a regular i4, so I'm afraid it would corner like a pig and would not stop as short.

Hmmm. Is the idea of suspension kit for a hybrid an oxymoron?

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

Consumer Reports admitted a mis-calculation for the Prius and probably the new Civic would be a reasonable choice too.

Reply to
Art

The only way I'd give up my stick is if my knees can't physically push down a clutch pedal anymore, haha. as for the safety features, I was suprised honda dind't offer it on the I4. I lot of peopel have made mention that it's not really needed with an I4, but living in new england, I would of liked it. that being said. I still managed to get an I4 EX manual with leather and NAVI for under 25k. It wasn't too bad in the snow either (although we got lucky with a pretty mild winter) I took a look at toyotas site, and I didn't see anyway to get a camry with navigation in a manual transmission.

Reply to
Dr Nick

I forgot: Is Accord Hybrid even available with stick?

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

I believe that the Acura TSX includes all of those features, and it is available with either a 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic.

Anyone looking at well equipped Camrys or Accords should at least check out the TSX to see if it is the best choice for you. Acura dealers are discounting TSX pretty agressively while the new Camry, especially with desireable options, can be harder to find a good discount on due to it's newness.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Nice to see people still like to drive a stick shift. I've always loved the Honda (and Acura) manual transmission. Had an '89 Prelude Si stick shift and now have an '05 Accord LX stick shift. The traction control would have been nice but I've lived without it this long. Then again the whole EX package offers nice options for about 2k more. Test drove the Civic EX but got a really good deal on my Accord. Paid $16,945 + tax & tags.

Trying to stay on topic, much of it depends on whether you like driving the Accord or Camry more. If you want a smoother softer ride, the Camry is the way to go. If you want something that is more of the driver's car w/road feel, get the Accord. Both are by no means sports cars but each gives value, depending on personal preference. Can't go wrong with either.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Nope and it doesn't pay for itself as a hybrid either.

Reply to
Art

It does have an i4/6M configuration, and this engine variant puts out

205hp. Still not the 268hp of the 3.5L V6 Camry, which gets higher fuel economy. Go figure.

Edmunds reports MSRP w/dest of $28,505 and a TMV price of $27,652, still $4-7k more than a Camry LE. But it does have the i4/6M, and I'm guessing that the ride comfort / cabin noise compares favorably, with better handling.

Comes down to the money and how badly you want the "Acura" label, which we know that anywhere else in the world is just a Honda.

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

Once the price gets near $30K and sport enters into the equation there's no sense looking at modified FWD grocery getters when great RWD performance sedans like the G35, IS 250 and 3-series are available. IMHO, Accords and Camrys are good values at around $20K but not when they're over $25K.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

Agreed.

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

Consumer Reports says... The Camrys are not getting anywhere near the EPA rated mileage in their V6 engines. Hondas do. So a V6 Camry should stay off your list, unless you want 80% of the promised mileage.

Also, Toy V6 engines are known to have a nasty gelling problem. Change the oil quite frequently if you have a V6, or -- for once -- synthetic oil is worthwhile in this application.

There is now a sports version of the Camry. The suspension may be a lot closer to an Accord than a standard Camry & I'm curious myself.

I have a 2004 Accord, but if it were totalled tomorrow, I'd seriously check out the V6 Camry.

Reply to
jmattis

That doesn't sound right to me. The various factors that reduce fuel economy should affect Toyota and Honda engines equally - unless you know a significant difference between them I don't know.

That's pretty out of date, and overblown even in its time (about 1 in 1000 was affected)

. Oddly, it was redesign of the valve cover that corrected the sludge problem.>

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

i thought it was decided that the gelling was due to neglect... mostly cars right off a 3 year lease that didnt have regular oil changes?

my moms scion xA has a required interval of 5000 miles between changes. i thought itd be longer than that, personally.

Reply to
SoCalMike

Nope, poor head design when Toyota attempted to extract more mpg from their 3.0L V6. Created hot/cold spots and poor maintenance made the problem obvious. A new valve cover was followed by a better head design. Fixed years ago.

By the way, I have 171K trouble-free miles on one of the sludge-prone

3.0L V6s. Still delivering better than EPA mpg.
5000 is conservative enough that should she forget an oil change the car will still be fine. Can't say the same about Honda's 10,000 interval. Keep in mind that most people won't even open the hood between routine oil changes.
Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

TeGGeR has an eye-opener in this 2001 Toyota V6 with less than 9000 miles (probably without an oil change):

a "come to Jesus" event. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Would be interesting to know how many months the car had gone without an oil change. If this happened after 3 months I'd have a different opinion than if it happened after 3 years.

If you search around you can find other equally well documented sludged engines from just about every manufacturer.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

the cool thing about the scion is that the oil change indicator can be programmed to light up at intervals from 1-5k miles. standard is 5k.

Reply to
SoCalMike

awesome! in a scary way, of course.

Reply to