Towing with 2005 OBXT

I was considering towing my other car ( E46 BMW ~ 3350 lbs ) on a trailer ( another 350 lbs?? ) on an interstate trip with my 2005 OBXT wagon. There will be some high altitude climbing and so forth.

Would this be too much load on either the motor ( 2.5l H4, 250HP turbo) or the transmission?

Are OBXT transmissions beefed up versions of their OB 2.5i brethren - capable of handling the extra torque?

TIA!

Reply to
Vuestra Merced

The ultimate authority is Subaru, a secondary is the Trailer Life publication on tow ratings

) However, no were, not once, have I seen anything that says that any Subaru can tow over 3000 lbs. Even this has "limits", since all vehicles also have a max combined rating (vehicle+stuff+trailer). Most of the time the tow rating asssumes that the vehicle only has a driver and no gear. This is why most of us that tow a lot, only tow at 80% of the max rating, ie that would mean the max I would tow would be 2400 lbs.

Doesnot look good.

Now to the other problem, I checked several sources (like

and could not find any BMW's that were designed to be towed "4 down", that is other then on a tow dolly or trailer.

Looks even worse

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

PS.. tow ratings are determined by more then the engine and transmission. Example, in 2005, when Ford increased the tow rating of their F250 and F350 trucks they did not change the engine or transmission, they increased the size of the frame and the size of the brakes.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Vuestra Merced wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Subaru.com lists the towing capacity of this vehivle at 2,700 lbs. I am sure that your manual states the same.

Reply to
David Patnaude

Reply to
Vuestra Merced