Towing with a new car

Just wondering what the professional opinion is here.

Have a 2500-mile old PD turbo-diesel engined car. Obviously it's nowhere near run in yet, but I'm wondering if it's safe to tow with it yet. I might be asked to tow a 900kg trailer about 150 miles at the weekend. I wouldn't mind so long as it won't damage the enigne. To my mind it's safe to start towing once the piston rings have bedded in, which I think I am correct in saying is when the car stops using oil. Which it hasn't yet.

What do you guys think?

Reply to
Rob

Your perfectly safe if you act sensibly. Dont over rev, Dont let it labour.

The vast majority of damage is done within the first few seconds of starting the engine prior to the oil getting circulated around the system.

Think about all the trucks you see on the roads. Their owners can't afford to pussy-foot around, they have to be earning money on the first day. So they rely on the driver to act sensibly.

- Fatsod.

Reply to
FatSod

Your engine was run in and fit for towing, or anything else, 2450 miles ago.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Whether it's fit for towing depends on how much stick you give it. Personally I would suggest you didn't labour the engine whether you are towing or not. Also I wouldn't suggest you drove up the steepest slope you could find in bottom gear at 5,000 revs.

Otherwise, the only thing that will notice the towing is the clutch beacause it'll be slipped more as you take off..

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

The engine on a nissan almera I had didnt even start to loosen up until it had done about 2000 miles - man that was one tight engine .

After 10,000 miles it got better fuel consumption and went better & assume the ems made a slight change to the mixture .

Reply to
LP

Should be no problem - follow the advice in your owners handbook - apart from the bit about getting the revs up to 3k to start, that is, or you'll need a new clutch pretty quick!.

Reply to
Richard Murphy