tribeca vs outback

I'm going to buy a 2008 Tribeca insted of the Outback Sedan my wife wants me to get, she has a 2002 H6 with VDC and has 60,002 miles on it with no problems at all, she thinks that I'm a fool to get a SUV instead of what she claims is the best Soobie ever...any thoughts out there?--Is she correct or am I just being a stubborn SOB?

Reply to
PETER EBERL

I'm not sure the Legacy Outback wagon is absolutely the best Subaru ever, but it's one of a half dozen or so. And the B9 Tribeca is definitely *not* on that list. It's large, strangely designed, has bad gas mileage for a Suby, etc.

Who will be driving the car? If mostly your wife, why do you have a problem getting the car she prefers?

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

My wife does not have a wagon, it's a 4 door sedan with privacy darkened windows all around and all the bells and whistles you can get, she wants to keep it and take it everywhere she goes..when we go out, it's in her car...I now have a 2000 Forester with 35,000 miles on it and I'd be getting the new Tribeca, which does not at all look like the 2007 version with the ugly snout-like front. This 2008 looks allmost like a Infinity FX.....hmmmm maybe I'll get that one instead...LOL...

Reply to
PETER EBERL

In other words, this is a car for you, not for her? I guess I'm a bit puzzled as to why she's objecting, then. Is it that the Tribeca is more expensive than the Outback wagon, and you're on a fairly tight budget? If so, maybe you could look at something else? (NOT the Infinity FX if that's the issue.) Otherwise, it seems a bit odd that she feels the right to veto your choice of a car for yourself.

I'd suggest talking this over with her, however, not us. I don't think that the type of car you want has anything to do with the conflict here....

PETER EBERL wrote:

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

Tribeca is made in USA and Outback in Japan, so u be the judge :)

Reply to
coaster

Funny, the sticker on my 02 LLBeam Outback says: "Made in Lafayette, Indiana". I've driven past the plant...its right on I-65 between Indy and Lafayette. I've lived in Indiana for 60 years...and was a CETA counselor who sent folks to interview for jobs when Caterpillar, Subaru and others built plants in that industrial park near Lafayette years ago. Since the plant was still there a few weeks ago, when did it get moved to Japan? Or do they import Outbacks from Japan for the west coast dealers?

I'm not sure what other models they build in Indiana...anyone know?

Jack Countryman

Our 03 OBW is from Indiana. The Impreza OBS(Outback Sport) is Japanese. Maybe Aussies and others get japanese legacy models?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Unless things have changed (and I don't think they have) Outbacks sold in the US are not manufactured in Japan.

I too have driven past the plant in Indiana many a time where they are made, and from which my 01 Outback has its manufacturing sticker.

The 02 Outback Sport (Impreza platform) I purchased was made in Japan.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

My 08 Outback was made in Indiana.

Reply to
Bob Burns

well Outback, Forester and Impreza are special built in JAP for Aussie roads with beefed up suspensions ... Tribeca is made in US and does not sell very well in AUS cas it is too flimsy for the local roads

Reply to
coaster

Check.

They haven't for the Outback models I've test driven or borrowed from friends in the last few years. In fact, I think they build all Legacy-based Outbacks here, even those they sell in Japan and the rest of Asia.

The Outback Sport is indeed made in Japan, or at least was in the 1990s, as are all Imprezas as far as I know. Does anyone know different?

Are you saying that the Australian models have even more beefed up suspensions than the models sold in America? I doubt it. My mother owns an Outback, which I've driven quite a bit, and I own and drive a Forester. It regularly goes through terrain that is at least the equal of anything Australia can throw at it -- my husband is an archaeologist, we live in southern California. Just over labor day weekend we drove the vehicle up a road that had two landslides and a washout *after* the generally bad condition it's in. We made it, but I doubt anyone driving a less capable vehicle would have.

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

We looked at the Tribeca and ended up with a loaded Outback 3.0 wagon. Consider that they use essentially the same mechanical components, but the Outback weighs a quarter ton less, so it's quicker and less stressed. The Outback also has better outward visibility and, just an opinion, is better looking. Unless you need the extra seating, I'd save the $$$ it would take to get the Tribeca and get an Outback 3.0 wagon with all the options you want.

Reply to
suburboturbo

Reply to
bigjim

text -

Whoa backpacker. Careful with the "best evers". What did they lose? The newer Outback is not only sleeker and much better looking, but better balanced with more aluminum overhead and at the nose and tail, not to mention increased ground clearance. Sure, prices edge up and durability needs to be proven over time, but ergonomics? I'd take the

2005-06 over the 2002-04 any day. Besides, as a best ever Subaru, I'll take my 2004 WRX wagon. It does more better than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Fast as a Porsche 944, as much useful cargo capacity as any SUV I've had (Cherokee, Pathfinder, Blazer), quality ergonomics with great visibility, logical arrangement of displays and controls, and terrific seats that even my decrepit vertebrae are comfortable in (again, I compare to the 944 that a buddy of mine had, not much to distinguish the two except for the Subie's great traction; yeah the Porsche did handle a bit better, but a tire upgrade on the WRX goes a long way toward fixing that). Not saying the WRX is a better car than the 944, but for the relative $$$ involved, no question.
Reply to
suburboturbo
05+ Outbacks lost the raised roof and large foglight styling cues. The 05+ seats are too soft and dont go back far enough. The armrest blocks power window switches. The new Subarus are not unique they are just Jap jellybeans. I dont have much interest in WRX. I'm old school so any 4 cyl just isnt muscle next to a rumbling V8. To me the Outback WAS one of the most unique designs EVER to hit America's roads. I got my 04 for Whoa backpacker. Careful with the "best evers". What did they lose?
Reply to
bigjim

jcz escribió:

the Tribeca. YUCK!

Hello I own an outbak 03, i had before legacy 2.5 SW and i have drive Tribeca and legacy 2.5R 07. Tribeca do not transmit any sporty sensation, need too much gasoline and is soft. I did not like.

I am happy with my 2.5 outback. I do not do racing drive but i like the feelling of the car. It is manual not automatic.

Best regards

Reply to
atlinc